1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solve this equation

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    Can someone please tell me where I have gone wrong here? I have to solve the following equation:

(3x - 7)/4 - (4x + 5)/2 = 3/4

I attempted to do it by muliplying boths sides by 4 to get rid of the denominators, leaving me with:

3x - 7 - 8x + 10 = 3
    simplified: -5x + 3 = 3

which is clearly nonsense as that means -5x would equal 0.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You have incorrectly distributed the minus 1 over the second term in brackets.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Hi Cyosis. Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I don't understand. can you clarify your statement please?
    Many thanks

5. May 30, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Sure, [tex]-(4x+5)=-4x-5 \neq \underbrace{-4x+5}_\text{what you did}[/tex].

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    Besides what Cyosis said, there's another problem here...

If you reach the conclusion that -5x = 0 in an arbitrary equation, there is nothing (necessarily) wrong with that. Just divide both sides by -5 and the result is that x = 0. "-5x = 0" is false for many values of x, but it is not ALWAYS false, as we have seen.

If you reach a conclusion that is ALWAYS false (e.g. " 1=2 "), then that is nonsense.

x = 0 would have been the solution, had you arrived at -5x = 0 in a correct way.

7. May 31, 2010 #6
    If you put it on a commen dinominator

like this [tex]\frac{(3x-7)-(8x+10)}{4} = \frac{3}{4}[/tex] and multiply both sides by 4 and clean up the act you get

[tex]-5x -17 = 3 \Leftrightarrow -5x = 20 [/tex] and thus the only x which solves the original eqn is x = -4.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. May 31, 2010 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, you did exactly the same mistake Gringo did. -7-(+10) is not 3.

9. May 31, 2010 #8
    Its gringa, jefe ;)

and sorry its early here in my part of the Univers...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook