Solving 2nd-Order ODEs: y'' + 2y' + y = f(t); y0=y0'=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lanza52
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Odes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Lanza52
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


y'' + 2y' + y = f(t); y0=y0'=0
f(t) is piecewise -- 1 for 0 < t < a; 0 for t > a

Use
y(t) = ∫G(t,t') f(t') dt' with bounds 0 to infinity


2. The attempt at a solution

I don't really have any logical attempt. My highest math is diffy q 1, Calc 3 and LA 1, I can't find a single resource (besides the 2 pages in my textbook) that addresses this topic in language that I understand.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lanza52 said:

Homework Statement


y'' + 2y' + y = f(t); y0=y0'=0
f(t) is piecewise -- 1 for 0 < t < a; 0 for t > a

Use
y(t) = ∫G(t,t') f(t') dt' with bounds 0 to infinity


2. The attempt at a solution

I don't really have any logical attempt. My highest math is diffy q 1, Calc 3 and LA 1, I can't find a single resource (besides the 2 pages in my textbook) that addresses this topic in language that I understand.
See the Example section on this page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_function.