Solving a Complex Second-Degree Ode with Bessel Functions | MATLAB Help

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter bloodlines
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a second degree ode with complex variables and constants. The speaker attempted to use MATLAB ode solver but it did not provide an explicit solution. They are also looking for a solution for a third degree polynomial equation and were advised to check Wolfram Alpha. The speaker expressed gratitude for the help and hopes to find a solution.
bloodlines
Hi friends,

I have been trying to solve the ode of second degree below:

d2y/dz2=(i/a*z+b)*y

i is the complex i, a and b are constants

i ended up with the summation of bessel functions of first end second kind. Then I checked with MATLAB ode solver it gives no explicit solution. please help me.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your problem is not well written. 1/a*z+b could be interpreted as (1/a)z+ b, or as [1/(az)]+ b, or as 1/(az+ b).

sorry about that

it is:

d2y/dz2=i*y/(a*z+b)

i is complex i not a symbol

i am also looking for a solution for this wrt z:

d2y/dz2=i*y/(a*z^3+b*z^2+c*z+d)

thank you!

thank you so much. i hope i can find a solution to the equation with 3rd degree polynomial.

What is an ode?

An ode is a type of poem that is usually written to celebrate or honor a person, event, or idea. It typically follows a specific structure and uses elevated language and imagery to express deep emotions and feelings.

What is the purpose of an ode?

The purpose of an ode is to pay tribute to something or someone and to express intense feelings or emotions in a poetic manner. Odes are often used to commemorate significant events or people, such as a national holiday or a famous figure.

What are the common characteristics of an ode?

Some common characteristics of an ode include a formal structure with stanzas and rhyming patterns, the use of elevated or grand language, and a celebratory or reverent tone. Odes may also include vivid imagery and metaphors to convey the poet's emotions and the subject of the ode.

How is an ode different from other types of poetry?

An ode is different from other types of poetry, such as a sonnet or ballad, because it has a specific structure and purpose. Unlike other forms of poetry, odes are not meant to tell a story or convey a specific message, but rather to celebrate or honor a subject.

How can I write my own ode?

To write your own ode, you can start by choosing a subject that holds personal significance or that you feel strongly about. Then, follow the traditional structure of an ode and use descriptive language and imagery to express your feelings towards the subject. Don't be afraid to experiment with different rhyme schemes or poetic devices to make your ode unique and impactful.