Solving a complex trigonometric equation

In summary, the student attempted to solve a complex equation but was confused about what function to use from each case. They found that sin(x) ≠ √(3) so went with cosh(y)=√(3) and found that cos(x) = 0 at \frac{k\pi}{2} with k=1,3,5,... However, this led to the same solution as the original assumption they made in A. The student was able to solve the equation for x using this notation and found that cos(x) = 0 at \frac{k\pi}{2} with k=1,3,5,...
frozenguy
Hi, thank you for looking.

Homework Statement

Solve the following complex equation and carefully plot at least 3 solutions for each. State ALL solutions to each! State exact answers!
Sin(z)=√(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my work.

I was a little confused how to tell what function from each case (A or B) I should set equal to solve for the variable. I found sin(x) ≠ √(3) so went with cosh(y)=√(3)

Since I had an answer for y I went with cos(x) = 0 for the next instead of sinh(y) = 0.

Is this a reasonable process?

MATHW2prob3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have sin(x)cosh(y) = [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex]. While it is true enough that
[itex]\sin(x) \ne \sqrt 3[/itex] why do you conclude that cosh(y) = [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex]? You need to re-think that step and keep in mind that this is a simultaneous system of equations you are solving.

LCKurtz said:
You have sin(x)cosh(y) = [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex]. While it is true enough that
[itex]\sin(x) \ne \sqrt 3[/itex] why do you conclude that cosh(y) = [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex]? You need to re-think that step and keep in mind that this is a simultaneous system of equations you are solving.

Well I thought it was an odd step as well but it was similar to an example the professor did on the board..
I guess I don't know how else to approach the problem from there. You can't solve for/sub x or y between the imaginary and real parts can you?

Remember the x and y values you get must satisfy both equations. Since you can figure out what x and y can satisfy your second equation, that limits what you can try in the first equation.

Ok, well sinh(y)=0 therefore y=0.

But if y=0, then cosh(y)=1 and would require sin(x)=√(3)

frozenguy said:
Ok, well sinh(y)=0 therefore y=0.

But if y=0, then cosh(y)=1 and would require sin(x)=√(3)

Right, so that doesn't work. There are two things that make equation B work and you have just ruled out one for equation A. What about the other one?

Sinh(y)=0 only at y=0.

So cos(x)=0 at [itex]\frac{k\pi}{2}[/itex] with k=1,3,5,...
But then its the same as the original assumption I made in A.
Because if I sub [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] for x in sin(x) I get 1. or -1 for k=3,7,11

Last edited:
frozenguy said:
Sinh(y)=0 only at y=0.

So cos(x)=0 at [itex]\frac{k\pi}{2}[/itex] with k=1,3,5,...
But then its the same as the original assumption I made in A.
Because if I sub [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] for x in sin(x) I get 1. or -1 for k=3,7,11

Yes. So now you are getting close to understanding and giving me the answer to my original question in first post. You have shown that B is satisfied if either sinh(y) = 0 or cos(x) = 0. So those are the only candidates for A. Then you showed y = 0 doesn't lead anywhere. So now you have the only possible values for x, and hence for sin(x). Since sin(x) can be ±1, that both explains why you set that equation [itex]=\sqrt 3[/itex] in the first place and corrects it to using [itex]\pm\sqrt 3[/itex].

Also, another notation thing you might like is to write the values for x like this:

[tex]x = \frac \pi 2 + k\pi,\ k \hbox{ integer.}[/tex]
to avoid the every other integer thing.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. So now you are getting close to understanding and giving me the answer to my original question in first post. You have shown that B is satisfied if either sinh(y) = 0 or cos(x) = 0. So those are the only candidates for A. Then you showed y = 0 doesn't lead anywhere. So now you have the only possible values for x, and hence for sin(x). Since sin(x) can be ±1, that both explains why you set that equation [itex]=\sqrt 3[/itex] in the first place and corrects it to using [itex]\pm\sqrt 3[/itex].

Also, another notation thing you might like is to write the values for x like this:

[tex]x = \frac \pi 2 + k\pi,\ k \hbox{ integer.}[/tex]
to avoid the every other integer thing.

Ahh thank you.. It's clicking now.

So when I go about graphing this,
It will be a set of points spread apart by [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}+k\pi[/itex] w/ k= int. at y=ln[2√(3)]Thank you again for your help.

Last edited:

1. How do I solve a complex trigonometric equation?

To solve a complex trigonometric equation, you will first need to identify the type of equation you are dealing with. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation. Finally, use algebraic methods to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

2. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities in order to efficiently solve complex trigonometric equations.

3. What steps should I follow when solving a trigonometric equation?

The steps for solving a trigonometric equation are as follows: 1) Identify the type of equation, 2) Simplify the equation using trigonometric identities, 3) Isolate the variable, 4) Solve for the variable using algebraic methods, and 5) Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Are there any tips for solving complex trigonometric equations?

One tip for solving complex trigonometric equations is to carefully analyze the equation and look for patterns or common identities that can help simplify it. Another tip is to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation, as trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. They can be used to solve problems related to angles, distances, and heights, making them essential in fields that involve measurement and calculation.