How to solve a recursion relation with a constant using hints?

In summary, you can use the recursion relation ##y_{k}=k(2j-k+1)y_{k-1}## and the given P.S. to obtain the solution ##y_{k}=\frac{k!(2j)!}{(2j-k)!}##. Start by writing ##y_k## in terms of ##y_0## and then use the given P.S. to simplify it into the desired form.
spaghetti3451
I have the recursion relation ##y_{k}=k(2j-k+1)y_{k-1}##

and I would like to solve it to obtain ##y_{k}=\frac{k!(2j)!}{(2j-k)!}##.

Can you provide some hints on how I might proceed?

P.S.: ##j## is a constant.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
## \frac{y_k}{y_1} = \prod_{i = 2}^k \frac{y_i}{y_{i-1}} ##

I forgot to mention that ##y_{0}=1##.

All right, then, we have

##\frac{y_k}{y_0} = \prod_{i = 1}^k \frac{y_i}{y_{i-1}}##

##y_k = \prod_{i=1}^{k} i(2j-i+1)##

##y_k = \bigg(\prod_{i=1}^{k} i\bigg) \bigg(\prod_{i=1}^{k} (2j-i+1)\bigg)##

##y_k = (k!) \bigg(\prod_{i=1}^{k} (2j-(i-1))\bigg)##

##y_k = (k!) \frac{(2j)!}{(2j-k)!}##

Thanks!

You're welcome

1. What is a recursion relation?

A recursion relation is a mathematical equation or formula that defines a sequence of values where each value is determined by one or more previous values in the sequence. This process of defining a sequence in terms of itself is known as recursion.

2. How is a recursion relation solved?

To solve a recursion relation, you must first identify the base case(s) of the sequence, which are the starting values that do not depend on any previous values. Then, you can use those base cases to recursively calculate the next values in the sequence until you reach the desired value.

3. Why is solving a recursion relation important?

Recursion relations are often used to model and solve complex problems in various fields, such as computer science, mathematics, and physics. They allow for the efficient and elegant representation of repetitive patterns and can lead to efficient algorithms and solutions.

4. What are some common techniques for solving recursion relations?

Some common techniques for solving recursion relations include using iteration, substitution, and mathematical induction. These techniques involve breaking down the recursive problem into smaller, simpler subproblems and using the base cases to build up to the desired solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using recursion relations?

While recursion relations can be a powerful tool for solving problems, they can also have limitations. For example, if the base cases are not properly defined, the recursion may never terminate. Additionally, using recursion can sometimes lead to inefficient algorithms compared to other methods of problem-solving.