Solving a tricky integral to normalize a wave function

In summary, the given problem involves normalizing a wave function for a particle in one dimension moving in a potential. The wave function is given by ψ = Axe^([-sqrt(km)/2h_bar]*x^2)e^([-isqrt(k/m)]*3t/2) and the normalization equation is ∫ψ*ψdx = 1. Integration by parts is used to solve the integral, but it cannot be solved analytically. The solution involves using the gamma function and looking the integral up in a table of integrals.
BPMead

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is moving in one dimension in a potential V(x,t). The wave
function for the particle is: ψ = Axe^([-sqrt(km)/2h_bar]*x^2)e^([-isqrt(k/m)]*3t/2). For -infinitity < x < infinity, where k and A are constants. Normalize this wave function.

Homework Equations

Normalization of wave function in one dimension:
∫ψ*ψdx = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said that ψ* would be the same as ψ except i would be negative, so ψ*ψ would be A^2*x^2*e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2). To normalize, ∫ψ*ψdx = A^2*∫x^2*e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2)dx = 1, with the integration being from negative infinity. I am mostly just having trouble getting through this integral. I tried integration by parts:

u = x^2, du = 2xdx
v = [-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * [1/2x] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2), dv = e^-([sqrt(km/h_bar]*x^2) dx.

So ∫ψ*ψdx = A^2 [uv-∫vdu] = A^2 [[x^2*[-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * [1/2x] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2)] (evaluated from negative infinity to positive infinity) - ∫[-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2) dx, again from negative infinity to positive infinity.

So for the first term, I don't know how to evaluate that from negative infinity to infinity because there is a 2x in the denominator and an e^(x^2) in the numerator, and the only way I really know how to evaluate is by just plugging values in. I also don't see an obvious way to evaluate that integral. So is there a way to evaluate this or is integration by parts just not going to work for me? Once I find this integral I can just take the square root of its reciprocal to get the value of A.

This is my first post so I have read the rules and am hoping I have posted in the right forum, etc. Any help on this problem would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
BPMead said:

Homework Statement

function for the particle is: ψ = Axe^([-sqrt(km)/2h_bar]*x^2)e^([-isqrt(k/m)]*3t/2). For -infinitity < x < infinity, where k and A are constants. Normalize this wave function.

Homework Equations

∫ψ*ψdx = 1

So I said that ψ* would be the same as ψ except i would be negative, so ψ*ψ would be A^2*x^2*e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2). To normalize, ∫ψ*ψdx = A^2*∫x^2*e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2)dx = 1, with the integration being from negative infinity. I am mostly just having trouble getting through this integral. I tried integration by parts:

u = x^2, du = 2xdx
v = [-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * [1/2x] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2), dv = e^-([sqrt(km/h_bar]*x^2) dx.

So ∫ψ*ψdx = A^2 [uv-∫vdu] = A^2 [[x^2*[-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * [1/2x] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2)] (evaluated from negative infinity to positive infinity) - ∫[-h_bar/sqrt(km)] * e^([-sqrt(km)/h_bar]*x^2) dx, again from negative infinity to positive infinity.

So for the first term, I don't know how to evaluate that from negative infinity to infinity because there is a 2x in the denominator and an e^(x^2) in the numerator, and the only way I really know how to evaluate is by just plugging values in. I also don't see an obvious way to evaluate that integral. So is there a way to evaluate this or is integration by parts just not going to work for me? Once I find this integral I can just take the square root of its reciprocal to get the value of A.

This is my first post so I have read the rules and am hoping I have posted in the right forum, etc. Any help on this problem would be very much appreciated.
You won't be able to solve that integral analytically. But since this is physics (not math), surely you are allowed to look it up? Check in a table of integrals, but be sure to look in the definite integrals section. It will probably look something like
0 x2 e-x2 = ___?​
or
0 x2 e-ax2 = ___?​

Thanks for your response! Darn, that is something we have little experience with and my teacher made it sound like we should know how to evaluate this. So since this integral runs from -infinity to infinity, would I double the integral from 0 to infinity?

The fact that this can't be solved analytically actually makes me suspicious, are you sure that I am trying to evaluate the right integral based on the problem?

BPMead said:
Thanks for your response! Darn, that is something we have little experience with and my teacher made it sound like we should know how to evaluate this. So since this integral runs from -infinity to infinity, would I double the integral from 0 to infinity?
Yes. When the integrand is an even function, as it is here, you can do that.
The fact that this can't be solved analytically actually makes me suspicious, are you sure that I am trying to evaluate the right integral based on the problem?
Welcome to advanced physics! :biggrin:

Looks right to me. Just to be sure, we have
[tex]\Psi = A \ x \ e^{-\sqrt{km} \ \cdot \ x^2 / (2 \hbar)} \cdot e^{-i \sqrt{k/m} \ \cdot \ 3 t/2},[/tex]
correct?

Redbelly98 said:
Yes. When the integrand is an even function, as it is here, you can do that.

Welcome to advanced physics! :biggrin:

Looks right to me. Just to be sure, we have
[tex]\Psi = A \ x \ e^{-\sqrt{km} \ \cdot \ x^2 / (2 \hbar)} \cdot e^{-i \sqrt{k/m} \ \cdot \ 3 t/2},[/tex]
correct?

Yep that's right, and I finally got a response from my prof, evidently this is called the gamma function and you do have to look it up. Thanks so much for your help though!

What was/is the answer to this problem? I have the exact same problem and just can't make it work!

BPMead said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

∫ψ*ψdx = 1

u = x^2, du = 2xdx

You need to evaluate [itex] I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^2 e^{-a x^2} dx, [/itex] where a > 0. You can integrate by parts, using [itex]u = x, \: dv = x e^{-ax^2} dx = (1/2a) d(ax^2) e^{-ax^2}.[/itex] You will end up having to do an integral of the form [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2} dx, [/itex] which you are certainly supposed to have seen before.

RGV

kviksand81 said:
What was/is the answer to this problem? I have the exact same problem and just can't make it work!
Please show us what you have tried towards solving this. Also, you should familiarize yourself with our forum policy on getting help with homework problems by reading the section titled Homework Help at this link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Ray Vickson said:
You need to . . .
Note, the OP seems to be finished with the problem.

My humble apologies! I will return with explanation at a later point in time.

For now, thank you for your help.

Related to Solving a tricky integral to normalize a wave function

1. What is a tricky integral in relation to normalizing a wave function?

A tricky integral in this context refers to an integral that cannot be easily solved using standard integration techniques. It may require advanced mathematical methods or special tricks to solve.

2. Why is it important to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

3. How do you solve a tricky integral to normalize a wave function?

Solving a tricky integral to normalize a wave function involves using various mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or special functions. It may also require making simplifying assumptions or approximations.

4. Can a tricky integral always be solved to normalize a wave function?

No, not all tricky integrals can be solved to normalize a wave function. In some cases, the integral may be too complex or impossible to solve using existing mathematical methods. In such cases, numerical approximation techniques may be used.

5. What are some tips for solving tricky integrals to normalize a wave function?

Some tips for solving tricky integrals to normalize a wave function include breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and being familiar with a variety of mathematical techniques. It is also helpful to practice and gain experience with solving different types of integrals.