Solving an Exponential Equation with Logarithm Rules

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with applying logarithm rules in order to find the value of an exponent, n, in an equation of the form A=B\frac{(1+x)^n-1}{x}. The speaker has reviewed logarithm rules and is stuck at the point of dividing A by B. They have also provided sample values to clarify the variables and have received further guidance on how to simplify the right-hand side of the equation in order to isolate (1+x)^n and then take logarithms to finish isolating n. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their understanding and needing to specify x in order to calculate n.
jsully
Having an issue with applying logarithm rules. I'm trying to find the value of an exponent in an equation of the form: [itex]A=B\frac{(1+x)^n-1}{x}[/itex]
I have reviewed logarithm rules and cannot get to the answer, n, which is the only unkown variable in the equation. I've divided A by B, but am stuck at that point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Just to be more clear I've plugged in some sample values in the event my variable choices were confusing:

[itex]230,000=1500\frac{(1+.00077)^n-1}{.00077}[/itex]

I'm now at

[itex]153.33=\frac{(1+.00077)^n-1}{.00077}[/itex]

...and stuck :( I think I need to log both sides, something like [itex]log 153.33=(n)log \frac{(1+.00077)-1}{.00077}[/itex] .

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you divide by B, I think there is another step you could also come up with before the pace changes.

log153.33=(n)log(1+.00077)−1.00077

I think you are on the right track sort of but that step you took does not bring down the 'n'. Need to do some more to RHS before that can happen.

What do you mean by RHS?

right hand side

If I simplify the RHS further, isn't it just 1? [itex]\frac{(1+.00077)-1}{.00077}[/itex]

jsully said:
[itex]A=B\frac{(1+x)^n-1}{x}[/itex]

From there, to try to get the RHS to look like this:
(1+x)^n

To do that, you will have to simplify by adding, dividing, and multiplying values to both sides of the equation. Try and figure out the correct order and with what values that will work.

Once you are left with (1+x)^n , you can take logarithms. Then finish isolating n.

GTG though. GL.

jsully said:
If I simplify the RHS further, isn't it just 1? [itex]\frac{(1+.00077)-1}{.00077}[/itex]

The problem that Square1 is trying to get you to notice is that you wrote something akin to ##\ln(a^n + b) = n \ln(a +b)##, which is NOT correct. You need to isolate the "an" (in your case, the (1+x)n) before you apply the logarithm to both sides of your equation.

jsully,

...I have reviewed logarithm rules and cannot get to the answer, n, which is the only unkown variable in the equation. ...

What are you trying to do? You have two variables in that expression, namely "x" and "n". If you specify x, then calculating n is trivial.

Ratch

Related to Solving an Exponential Equation with Logarithm Rules

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which the unknown variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form of y = abx, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do logarithm rules help in solving an exponential equation?

Logarithm rules help in solving an exponential equation by allowing us to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. For example, if we have an equation like 2x = 16, we can use the logarithm rule log216 = x to rewrite it as x = 4. This makes it easier to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the basic logarithm rules?

The basic logarithm rules are:

• loga1 = 0
  • logaa = 1
  • loga(xy) = logax + logay
  • loga(x/y) = logax - logay
  • loga(xn) = nlogax

4. How do you solve an exponential equation using logarithms?

To solve an exponential equation using logarithms, you need to follow these steps:

1. Isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation.
  2. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation using the same base.
  3. Apply logarithm rules to simplify the equation.
  4. Solve for the unknown variable.

5. Can every exponential equation be solved using logarithms?

No, not every exponential equation can be solved using logarithms. Some equations may require more advanced techniques, such as using a calculator or graphing the equation to find the solution. Additionally, some equations may have no real solutions.