Solving Audio Issues with Forklift Terminals: A Software Developer's Quest

In summary, the speaker issue with the forklift terminal running Windows Mobile can be solved by using a splitter and connecting both passive and powered speakers, or by using a cable with a 20-30K resistor plugged into the powered speakers, as the device is looking for a certain resistance in order to switch the audio output from the internal speaker to the headset jack. The resistance can be higher without causing harm, and if the socket is stereo, both channels should have the same resistance to the common ground.
bradaker
First of all, I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm just a software developer who has written an application to do push-to-talk over wireless LANs on Windows Mobile devices, mostly for warehouse environments. We've got a prospect right now who wants to run our software on some forklift terminals, but we've run into a problem that I'm hoping someone here can help me answer. And here it is...

Because the internal speaker of the forklift terminal (which is running Windows Mobile) is not loud enough, we need to connect external speakers to the terminal's headset jack. We have done this in other mobile devices before with no problem. You just plug the speakers into the device's headset jack, and the device detects this and starts automatically routing its audio to the headset jack instead of to the internal speaker.

But with this particular device, it is apparently looking for more than just the physical presence of a plug being inserted into its headset jack. When we plug passive, non-powered speakers into it, the device recognizes them and works properly, but because the speakers are not powered the audio is still not loud enough. However, when we try powered speakers (currently just plugged into a wall outlet, eventually they'll be powered by tapping into the electrical of the forklift), the device does not notice them and therefore does not switch the audio from the internal speaker to the headset jack where the powered speakers are plugged in.

So, we tried plugging a little RadioShack splitter into the headset jack, then connected the passive speakers into one of the ports in the splitter, and the powered speakers into the other port, and bingo! The audio routes out the headset jack to both sets of speakers (the powered and the non-powered), and the audio in the powered speakers is nice and loud. So my question is, what can we do in terms of a cable that would simulate these passive speakers? Ultimately we want to have a cable that connects to the externally powered speakers, but also draws power like the passive speakers do (I think). The passive speakers that I'm referring to, in case that matters, are Sony SRS-P11Q's. The powered speakers don't really matter. We have tried many different ones, and they all behave the same way. They work only when plugged into a splitter where the passive speakers are plugged in too.

My guess is that the passive speakers are actually drawing some power from the headset jack, but the powered speakers, since they are getting power from an external source, are not trying to draw any power, and the mobile device is actually not noticing them unless they try to draw some power. So, assuming that's the case, we want to come up with something we can attach to a cable that would make it draw power, ideally just as much power as these passive speakers are drawing, so we can simulate what they are currently doing. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks for any help you can provide. And if you have any specific followup questions, ask away!

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

My guess is that it detects resistance of the unpowered speakers or headphones (typicaly about 32ohms) while the powered ones have an amplifier which has a input impedance of a few mega-ohms.

A 20-30K resistor on the splitter output should be enough.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply sir! I will give that a try. I've also noticed by trying to put a few other things on the "passive speaker" side that I seem to be able to affect the volume going out to the powered speakers. So, what would be the affect of putting a 10K resistor vs. say a 50K resistor or something like that? I would like to see if we can get the powered speakers as loud as possible, but I also don't want to damage anything of course. I'm sorry if that's a naive question, but I really don't have a clue about this stuff. It's a world I've never really dealt with, but I've got to admit I am finding it very interesting!

Last edited:

Putting anything higher impedance than the headphones won't do any harm because that takes less current.
The input to a powered (amplified) speaker is probably at least a few 100K so there is no difference between a 50k resistor, powered speaker and nothing.

Note if the socket is stereo you probably want the same resistance between each channel and the common ground - the amp might be sensing on either of them.

It sounds then like I don't even need the splitter to do this, correct? Could I just make a cable that has a 20-30K resister in it, where the cable plugs into the powered speakers? Are you saying that might simulate my current setup (as far as what the mobile device is looking for in order to send audio out the headset jack)?

Related to Solving Audio Issues with Forklift Terminals: A Software Developer's Quest

1. What are some common audio issues that can occur with forklift terminals?

Some common audio issues that can occur with forklift terminals include static or distorted sound, no sound at all, and inconsistent volume levels. These issues can be caused by hardware malfunctions, outdated software, or connectivity problems.

2. How can a software developer solve audio issues with forklift terminals?

A software developer can solve audio issues with forklift terminals by troubleshooting the hardware and software components, updating drivers and software, and ensuring proper connectivity between the terminal and audio output devices. They may also need to adjust audio settings and configurations to optimize sound quality.

3. Why is it important to address audio issues on forklift terminals?

Addressing audio issues on forklift terminals is important because clear and accurate audio is essential for effective communication and safety in warehouse environments. Poor audio quality can lead to miscommunication and accidents, which can be costly and dangerous.

4. Can audio issues on forklift terminals be prevented?

Yes, audio issues on forklift terminals can be prevented by regularly updating software and drivers, conducting routine maintenance and troubleshooting, and using high-quality audio equipment. It is also important to train users on proper usage and troubleshooting techniques to prevent audio issues from occurring.

5. Are there any potential challenges in solving audio issues on forklift terminals?

Yes, there can be potential challenges in solving audio issues on forklift terminals. These may include identifying the root cause of the issue, obtaining necessary hardware and software updates, and troubleshooting in a time-sensitive and high-pressure environment. Additionally, compatibility issues between different components may also pose a challenge.