Solving cylindrical coordinates system, just want to check my answer

In summary: DIn summary, the conversation discussed converting coordinates between cylindrical and Cartesian systems. Using the given values, the coordinates (x,y,z) were found to be (1.64, 1.15, 1) in cylindrical coordinates and (3.6, 33.69°, 4) in Cartesian coordinates. The use of ρ instead of r was also briefly mentioned.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

.. Here is the question;

In cylindrical coordinate system ,
(a) If r = 2 meters , [itex]\varphi[/itex] = 35° , z = 1 meter , what are x,y,z?
(b) if (x,y,z) = (3,2,4) meters, what are (r, [itex]\varphi[/itex], z)

Homework Equations

x = r cos [itex]\varphi[/itex]
y = r sin [itex]\varphi[/itex]
z = z

r = [itex]\sqrt{(x)^{2}+(y)^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]\varphi[/itex]= [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]
z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

here is my answer, i just want to know if I'm correct :))

for a.

x = r cos [itex]\varphi[/itex]
= 2 cos 35
= 1.64

y = r sin [itex]\varphi[/itex]
= 2 sin 35°
= 1.15

z = z
z = 1

for b.

r = [itex]\sqrt{(x)^{2}+(y)^{2}}[/itex]
= [itex]\sqrt{(3)^{2}+(2)^{2}}[/itex]
= 3.6 ≈ 4

[itex]\varphi[/itex]= [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex]
= [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]
= 33.69° ≈ 34°

z = z
z = 4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, looks good. If you want to check yourself, you can always draw it out in both coordinate systems (they should be close to the same place if the graphs are drawn hastily).

thanks.. I was just confused because the other books I saw use [itex]\rho[/itex] instead of r.. i thought i still need to do something to r to make it [itex]\rho[/itex] .. hehe.. Thanks. :)))

I always used ρ for spherical coordinates and r for the xy-plane. But as long as your equations are consistent with what you are trying to do, it doesn't matter if you draw a little duckie as a variable.

What is a cylindrical coordinate system?

A cylindrical coordinate system is a system of coordinates used to represent points in three-dimensional space. It consists of a horizontal angle, a radial distance, and a vertical height.

How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
z = z

Can cylindrical coordinates be negative?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates can be negative. The radial distance (r) and vertical height (z) can be negative, while the horizontal angle (θ) is typically measured from 0 to 2π.

What is the relationship between cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates and spherical coordinates are both systems used to represent points in three-dimensional space. The main difference is that cylindrical coordinates use a horizontal angle and a vertical height, while spherical coordinates use a horizontal angle, a polar angle, and a radial distance.

How do you solve equations in cylindrical coordinates?

To solve equations in cylindrical coordinates, you can use the same techniques as solving equations in Cartesian coordinates. However, you need to incorporate the conversion formulas for cylindrical coordinates when necessary.