Solving Diode Bridge Current with AC-to-DC Circuit

In summary: Ohm's law.In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit designed to convert AC to DC with an output voltage of 5 volts. The individual is seeking help to figure out the current running through each phase at a given time and how to determine the load that can be put across the generator without damaging it. It is suggested to use Ohm's law to find the current going through the load, which will be the same as the current supplied by each phase at its peak output. It is also recommended to test the device with a bench power supply to determine the maximum current it draws. The conversation also touches on the fact that in a 3-phase supply, only one phase supplies the majority of the current at any given moment, while
apc3161
Hello,

I made a circuit to convert AC to DC. It looks like this.

http://openbookproject.net/electricCircuits/Semi/03267.png

My output DC voltage is around 5 volts. Could someone please explain to me how I could figure out the current running through each of the phases at a given time given a certain DC current (For example let's say 1 A DC)?

I'm tempted to say that each phase would have 0.33 A_rms going through it (assuming 1 A DC), but I'm not sure if that is right.

An equation or any help would be most helpful. Thanks

-edit, I've also though that, given the following picture, maybe only 1 phase at any given time has current going through it, and it it is equal to the DC current. This seems like a better solution, but I'm not sure.

03269.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, your output is not going to be 5VDC, unless that 3-phase AC source is actually a transformer or 3 (plugged into your 3-phase mains) with a 5.6 Vpk.

MATLABdude said:
Yeah, your output is not going to be 5VDC, unless that 3-phase AC source is actually a transformer with a 5.6 Vpk.

Oh sorry, our power is coming from an AC motor being run as a generator, not from the wall. During tests we were getting 5 VDC from our circuit. Basically, I know the thermal current that the motor windings can handle, which is why I want to figure out how much current is going through each phase, so I can determine how much load I can put across the generator without frying it.

apc3161 said:
Oh sorry, our power is coming from an AC motor being run as a generator, not from the wall. During tests we were getting 5 VDC from our circuit. Basically, I know the thermal current that the motor windings can handle, which is why I want to figure out how much current is going through each phase, so I can determine how much load I can put across the generator without frying it.

Ah, well that being the case, you can use Ohm's law, as you suggest and find the current going through your load, which will be the same as the current supplied by each of the windings at their peak output. Remember that in a 3-phase supply, only one leg / phase primarily supplies the current at any given moment. That being said, in your example, each phase would be supplying approximately 1A at its peak. Remember that Vpk = sqrt(2) * Vrms.

If you *don't* have a simple resistive load, I'd suggest hooking the device up to your bench power supply (set at 5VDC) and seeing how much current it draws as a maximum and/or on average (which number is more important depends on how often the maxima occur, and how high they get).

EDIT: There's probably a formula you can find in any circuit analysis textbook relating I_pk supplied to the load to the I_pk supplied by any given phase, but using V_pk supplied should give you a pretty close number.

Last edited:
MATLABdude said:
Ah, well that being the case, you can use Ohm's law, as you suggest and find the current going through your load, which will be the same as the current supplied by each of the windings at their peak output. Remember that in a 3-phase supply, only one leg / phase primarily supplies the current at any given moment.

If you *don't* have a simple resistive load, I'd suggest hooking the device up to your bench power supply (set at 5VDC) and seeing how much current it draws as a maximum and/or on average (which number is more important depends on how often the maxima occur, and how high they get).

Ok, so more or less the current going through any 1 phase at a given time is either 0 or the current being pulled from DC. At any given time, 2 phases are supplying no current while the other is supplying all the current. Is that correct for the most part?

apc3161 said:
Ok, so more or less the current going through any 1 phase at a given time is either 0 or the current being pulled from DC. At any given time, 2 phases are supplying no current while the other is supplying all the current. Is that correct for the most part?

At peak, the other coils are sinking current (as your circuit is drawn, current has to flow in loops!) But since it's a sinusoid, each phase oscillates between supplying most of the current, and sinking most of the current, and in a continuous fashion (i.e. not supplying all the current half the time, and then sinking all the current the other half).

MATLABdude said:
At peak, the other coils are sinking current (as your circuit is drawn, current has to flow in loops!) But since it's a sinusoid, each phase oscillates between supplying most of the current, and sinking most of the current, and in a continuous fashion (i.e. not supplying all the current half the time, and then sinking all the current the other half).

great thanks! Ok, so basically by looking at the 2nd graph I provided, it seems that when one phase is supplying all the current, the other two are sinking about half of that current. So for 1/3 of the time, any phase is sourcing all the current, and for the other 2/3 of the time, it is sinking half the current. If you average that over an entire cycle, a single phase see 2/3 of the DC amperage going through it I think.

Last edited:
apc3161 said:
great thanks! Ok, so basically by looking at the 2nd graph I provided, it seems that when one phase is supplying all the current, the other two are sinking about half of that current. So for 1/3 of the time, any phase is sourcing all the current, and for the other 2/3 of the time, it is sinking half the current. If you average that over an entire cycle, a single phase see 2/3 of the DC amperage going through it I think.

Something like that. You could just use all the DC current as a worst-case maximum, and/or to give yourself some margin. (You just need to put a less than, or greater than sign in front of whatever answer you get in the end, as appropriate)

This is a great thing you can do on spice :)

Related to Solving Diode Bridge Current with AC-to-DC Circuit

What is a diode bridge?

A diode bridge is an electronic circuit that is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It consists of four diodes arranged in a bridge configuration, hence the name diode bridge.

How does a diode bridge work?

A diode bridge works by using the four diodes to rectify the AC input into a DC output. During the positive half-cycle of the AC input, two diodes conduct and allow current to flow through in one direction. During the negative half-cycle, the other two diodes conduct and allow current to flow in the opposite direction. This results in a pulsating DC output that can then be smoothed into a constant DC output.

What is the purpose of solving diode bridge current?

The purpose of solving diode bridge current is to determine the amount of current flowing through the diode bridge circuit. This is important for ensuring that the circuit is operating within its safe limits and can help troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

How do you solve diode bridge current with an AC-to-DC circuit?

To solve diode bridge current with an AC-to-DC circuit, you will need to use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's circuit laws. First, calculate the total resistance of the circuit, then apply Ohm's law to determine the current flowing through the diode bridge. Next, use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to calculate the voltage drops across each diode and determine the total current flowing through the circuit. Finally, compare the calculated current with the maximum current ratings of the diodes to ensure they are not being overloaded.

What are some common issues when solving diode bridge current with an AC-to-DC circuit?

Some common issues when solving diode bridge current include using incorrect values for resistance or voltage, forgetting to account for the voltage drop across each diode, and not considering the maximum current ratings of the diodes. It is important to double-check all calculations and ensure that the circuit is operating within its safe limits.