Solving DS for Line Integral: 5x^2 + 3y^2 = 4

In summary, to determine dS when it is in the form of a surface integral, you need to parameterize the surface with two parameters and express the integral in terms of those parameters with the appropriate limits. This method can handle different types of surfaces, such as elliptical and circular ones, and may result in complex integrals.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

Say I have a line integral which I have simplified to:

[itex]\int\int x+y dS[/itex]

Over some surface S, let's say 5x^2 + 3y^2 = 4 or something. Having arrived at this step, how do I determine dS? The formulas and methods we've been taught doesn't really lead to this step all that often but I'd like to know a general approach for determining dS when it is in this form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have ##dS## it is rather surface integral, not line one.

Here's a discussion on surface integrals:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gauss M.D. said:

Homework Statement

Say I have a line integral which I have simplified to:

[itex]\int\int x+y dS[/itex]

Over some surface S, let's say 5x^2 + 3y^2 = 4 or something. Having arrived at this step, how do I determine dS? The formulas and methods we've been taught doesn't really lead to this step all that often but I'd like to know a general approach for determining dS when it is in this form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You parameterize the surface with two parameters, say ##u## and ##v##. So you have$$
\vec R(u,v) =\langle x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)\rangle$$Then express your integral in terms of ##u## and ##v## with ##dS = |\vec R_u \times \vec R_v|dudv## with appropriate ##u,v## limits.

In your example you could let ##z## be itself, solve the surface equation for ##x## in terms of ##y## and use ##z## and ##y## for your parameters. The actual integral for your example, which I'm guessing you just made up, might get ugly. If your example was circular instead of elliptical you might use cylindrical coordinates ##z,\theta## for your parameters.

Likes 1 person

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. It is an important concept in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of vector fields.

How do you solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you first need to parameterize the given curve or path. This means expressing the x and y coordinates in terms of a single variable, usually t. Then, you integrate the function along the curve using the appropriate formula, taking into consideration the direction of the curve and any given limits of integration.

What does the equation 5x^2 + 3y^2 = 4 represent?

This equation represents an ellipse with its center at the origin, and its major and minor axes along the x and y axes respectively. The numbers 5 and 3 represent the squared lengths of these axes, and the number 4 represents the squared sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the foci.

What is the purpose of solving a line integral?

The purpose of solving a line integral is to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or path. This can be useful in various applications, such as determining the work done by a force along a certain path, or calculating the electric field along a charged wire.

What are some common techniques for solving line integrals?

Some common techniques for solving line integrals include using the fundamental theorem of line integrals, Green's theorem, and parameterization of the curve. Other techniques may involve converting the line integral into a double or triple integral, or using vector calculus methods such as Stoke's theorem or the divergence theorem.