Solving for Acceleration with Tension and Friction

In summary: You've been a big help! In summary, the 2.0 kg block will accelerate 8.6 m/s^2 due to the tension in the strings.
m3rc

Homework Statement

Consider the following diagram:

5970334255_f6653f74cb_m.jpg

Assume the strings and pulleys have negligible masses and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 2.0 kg block and the table ([itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]) is .12. What is the acceleration of the 2.0 kg block?

Homework Equations

Net force = T[itex]_{2}[/itex] - (T[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]F[itex]_{g}[/itex]), where T[itex]_{2}[/itex] is the tension from the 3 kg block, T[itex]_{1}[/itex] is the tension from the 1 kg block, and F[itex]_{g}[/itex] is the force of gravity on the 2 kg block.

a= Net force/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems like a really straightforward problem, but none of the multiple choice answers match my result so I'm confused as to what exactly I'm missing.

I drew a free-body diagram for the 2 kg block with the normal force pointing up, the force of gravity pointing down, T[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]*F[itex]_{g}[/itex] pointing left (presumably the block will accelerate to the right, so the friction force points in the opposite direction), and T[itex]_{2}[/itex] pointing right.

T[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 9.8 N.

[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{k}[/itex]*F[itex]_{g}[/itex] = .12 * 2 * 9.8 m/s^2 = 2.4 N

T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 3 kg * 9.8m/s^2 = 29.4 N.

Net force = 29.4 N - (9.8+2.4) = 17.2 N

a = 17.2 N/ 2 kg = 8.6 m/s^2.

All of the options for answers are below 4.6 m/s^2.

I'm not looking for the answer; I'd like to just find out conceptually what I'm missing so I can solve it for myself.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
m3rc

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, m3rc! Good question, and thanks for explaining your work so clearly.

Where you're going wrong is that you assume that the two hanging blocks exert a force equal to their weight on the middle block. That would be true if the system was stationary, but it is not true if the system is accelerating, as in this case. The clearest way to see this is to imagine all three blocks were falling freely -- in that case there would be no tension in either string.

What you need to do is draw a free-body diagram for each block, not just the middle one. This will give you three equations of motion, with three unknowns: the tension in each string, and the acceleration. (We know that the accelerations of the three blocks are all equal because they are tied together by the string). Solve the system of equations to obtain the acceleration and the two tension forces.

That did it, thanks so much for your help, Mike!

I drew free-body diagrams for each of the blocks, which led to the equations:

1 kg: a = (T1-9.8 N)/1 kg, where 9.8 N is the force of gravity on the block
2 kg: a = (T2-T1+[itex]\mu[/itex]k(19.8 N))/2 kg, where 19.8 N is the force of gravity on the block.
3 kg: a = (T2 - 29.4 N)/3 kg, where 29.4 N is the force of gravity on the block.

I then solved for T2 in terms of T1 by setting the second equation equal to the third because the accelerations are equal. I plugged my answer back into the second equation and solved for T1 by setting it equal to the first equation. I then plugged both answers back into the second equation to come up with the correct answer, 2.8 m/s^2.

Thanks again, Mike!

Related to Solving for Acceleration with Tension and Friction

What is acceleration due to tension?

Acceleration due to tension refers to the change in the velocity of an object caused by the force of tension acting on it.

How is acceleration due to tension calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration due to tension is a = F / m, where a is acceleration, F is the tension force, and m is the mass of the object.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration due to tension?

Some examples of acceleration due to tension include a pendulum swinging, a yo-yo moving up and down, and a bucket being pulled up from a well.

Does the acceleration due to tension depend on the mass of the object?

Yes, acceleration due to tension is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the greater the mass, the greater the tension force needed to produce the same amount of acceleration.

How does the angle of the tension force affect the acceleration due to tension?

The angle of the tension force can affect the acceleration due to tension by changing the direction of the force. However, as long as the magnitude of the tension force remains the same, the acceleration will not be affected.