Solving for c: 2^2007 and x^2+c

• Thread starter al-mahed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem from the Brazilian Mathematics Olympiad, which asks for the number of integers in the range [-2007, 2007] that are quadratic residues mod 2^2007. One person solves the problem using a computer program and finds the answer to be 670. The conversation also discusses solving the problem by hand using quadratic reciprocity and concludes that there are 670 residues in the given range. There is some confusion about whether or not quadratic reciprocity applies to odd primes and the importance of considering the number 0 as a residue.
al-mahed
For how many whole numbers c, − 2007 ≤ c ≤ 2007, exists a whole number x such that x^2 + c is multiple of 2^2007?

Physics news on Phys.org
come on guys... this is an olympic problem, from the M.O. from Brazil

Since the interval is symmetric about 0, you're just asking for how many numbers in [-2007, 2007] are quadratic residues mod 2^2007.

sum(n=-2007,2007,issquare(Mod(n,2^2007))) = 670 (15ms in Pari)

Now if you actually want to solve it by hand, you'll need to look over quadratic reciprocity more carefully.

you need to solve by hand

Wikipedia, under "quadratic residue", says that a number is a residue mod 2^m (m any natural number) if and only if it is of the form (4^k)*(8n+1).
I counted 336 integers in [1,2007] that are of that form. I thought an equal number might be in [-2007,-1], but that would give me 672, not 670.

Last edited:
Is it at this point that quadratic reciprocity should be applied? But how if it applies to odd primes?
Something else (in my previous post): m any natural number > 2.

Last edited:
Using the form -(4^k)*(8n-1), I can count 333 residues in [-2007,-1]. With 0 also a residue, I get 670.

Related to Solving for c: 2^2007 and x^2+c

1. What does it mean to "solve for c" in the equation 2^2007 and x^2+c?

Solving for c means to find the value of c that makes the given equation true. In this case, we are looking for the value of c that satisfies the equation 2^2007 + x^2 + c = 0.

2. How do you solve for c in an equation like 2^2007 and x^2+c?

To solve for c, we need to isolate it on one side of the equation by using algebraic manipulation. In this case, we can subtract 2^2007 and x^2 from both sides to get c = -2^2007 - x^2.

3. Can you solve for c if the equation has more than two variables?

Yes, we can still solve for c as long as we have enough information to isolate it on one side of the equation. However, the solution may involve multiple variables and may not be a single numerical value.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for c in an equation?

Yes, there are some special cases that may require different approaches to solving for c. For example, if the equation is a quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, we can use the quadratic formula to solve for c.

5. Can you use a calculator to solve for c in an equation like 2^2007 and x^2+c?

Yes, a calculator can be used to solve for c in this equation. However, it may not always give an exact solution due to rounding errors. It is always recommended to double-check the solution manually by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure its accuracy.