Solving for magnetic vector potential (An integral issue)

In summary, the problem involves finding a suitable A with only one non-zero component, Aphi, for a given B. The given B is a piecewise function, and the solution involves using the curl in cylindrical coordinates and integrating over different limits depending on the value of rho. The continuity of A at rho=a must also be taken into account.
msimmons

Homework Statement

There is a cylinder of conducting ionized gas that occupies rho < a. For the given B, show that a suitable A can be found with only one non-zero component, Aphi, find Aphi which is also continuous at rho=a. (Part A was solving for a few relavant things)

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{B}=\nabla \times \mathbf{A}[/tex]
[tex]
B(\rho) =
\begin{cases}
B_0\frac{\rho}{a} \hat{z} & \text{if } \rho \leq a \\
B_0 \hat{z} & \rho \gt a
\end{cases}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(Where line 2 is the curl in cylindrical coordinates, ignoring the second part because of the condition in the problem... only a phi component of the vector potential.)
[tex]
B_z = (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})_z
[/tex][tex]
= \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial (\rho\, A_\phi)}{\partial \rho}
[/tex][tex]
\rho B_z\, d\rho = d(\rho\, A_\phi)
[/tex][tex]
\rho\, A_\phi(\rho) = \int \rho B_z \, d \rho
[/tex]

Aaand I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to use the fact that A is continuous while dealing with this piecewise function. My first guess was to do something like breaking the integral into two parts, but I don't see that working because it would be necessary to have a definite integral.
Do I make it a definite integral, and play with it then? If so, my idea was perhaps my limits of integration would be 0 to rho, integrating over rho'. Thus, if rho is less than a we need only to look at one part of the piecewise, and if it is greater than a we have only a constant (after integrating from 0 to a) plus the integral from a to rho.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
msimmons said:
Do I make it a definite integral, and play with it then? If so, my idea was perhaps my limits of integration would be 0 to rho, integrating over rho'. Thus, if rho is less than a we need only to look at one part of the piecewise, and if it is greater than a we have only a constant (after integrating from 0 to a) plus the integral from a to rho.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time!

That's what I would do :smile:

1. What is the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential, denoted as A, is a vector field that describes the magnetic field in terms of a potential function. It is used in electromagnetism to simplify the calculation of magnetic fields, similar to how the electric potential is used to calculate electric fields.

2. How is the magnetic vector potential related to the magnetic field?

The magnetic vector potential is related to the magnetic field B through the equation: B = ∇ x A, where ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the magnetic field is the curl of the magnetic vector potential.

3. Why is solving for the magnetic vector potential important?

Solving for the magnetic vector potential is important because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field in a more efficient manner. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic systems, such as motors, generators, and transformers.

4. What is the integral issue when solving for the magnetic vector potential?

The integral issue when solving for the magnetic vector potential arises from the fact that the magnetic field is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This makes it difficult to solve for the magnetic vector potential using traditional integration methods.

5. How can the integral issue be resolved when solving for the magnetic vector potential?

The integral issue can be resolved by using vector calculus techniques, such as the gradient, divergence, and curl operators, to simplify the equations and solve for the magnetic vector potential. Another approach is to use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis, to approximate the solution and overcome the complexities of the integral issue.