1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for magnetic vector potential (An integral issue)

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a cylinder of conducting ionized gas that occupies rho < a. For the given B, show that a suitable A can be found with only one non-zero component, Aphi, find Aphi which is also continuous at rho=a. (Part A was solving for a few relavant things)

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\mathbf{B}=\nabla \times \mathbf{A}[/tex]
    [tex]
    B(\rho) =
    \begin{cases}
    B_0\frac{\rho}{a} \hat{z} & \text{if } \rho \leq a \\
    B_0 \hat{z} & \rho \gt a
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    (Where line 2 is the curl in cylindrical coordinates, ignoring the second part because of the condition in the problem... only a phi component of the vector potential.)
    [tex]
    B_z = (\nabla \times \mathbf{A})_z
    [/tex][tex]
    = \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial (\rho\, A_\phi)}{\partial \rho}
    [/tex][tex]
    \rho B_z\, d\rho = d(\rho\, A_\phi)
    [/tex][tex]
    \rho\, A_\phi(\rho) = \int \rho B_z \, d \rho
    [/tex]

Aaand I'm stuck. I'm not sure how to use the fact that A is continuous while dealing with this piecewise function. My first guess was to do something like breaking the integral into two parts, but I don't see that working because it would be necessary to have a definite integral.
    Do I make it a definite integral, and play with it then? If so, my idea was perhaps my limits of integration would be 0 to rho, integrating over rho'. Thus, if rho is less than a we need only to look at one part of the piecewise, and if it is greater than a we have only a constant (after integrating from 0 to a) plus the integral from a to rho.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I would do :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook