Solving for Normal Modes in a Non Similar Coupled Pendulum

In summary, the two masses of a pendulum have a negligible effect on the length and weight of the strings. However, when the masses are different, it becomes difficult to find the normal modes. Homework equations state that F=ma and Fs=k(x1-x2). However, when solving these equations simultaneously, an error is made. The correct equation is m1*a1=-m1*g*(x1/l)-kΔx and m2*a2=-m2*g*(x2/l)-kΔx. If the spring exerts a negative force on one of the masses, it will also exert a negative force on the other mass.
aseylys

Homework Statement

(The picture is having trouble being directed so I attached it)

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out the normal modes of a pendulum with two different masses. The lengths of the strings are the same and the weight of the strings are negligible.

I can easily find everything if the masses are equal but when the masses are different it kind of screws me up.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fs=k(x1-x2)=kΔx
m1*a1=-m1*g*(x1/l)-kΔx
m2*a2=-m2*g*(x2/l)-kΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

x(double dot)n=an

Working it all out I get:

a1+a2+(g/l)*(x1+x2)+Δx((k/m1)-(k/m2))

This doesn't help me get a simple solution like x(t)=A*cos(ωt+[itex]\phi[/itex]) because of the addition of the Δx((k/m1)-(k/m2))

Attachments

• coupled.png
    coupled.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

OK, so you have two coupled differential equations:

m1*a1=-m1*g*(x1/l)-kΔx
m2*a2=-m2*g*(x2/l)-kΔx

I think you have one sign error in these equations if Δx stands for the same quantity in both equations. (You didn't state what Δx means. Correction: You did state that Δx is x1-x2. Can you see which of the equations has a sign error?) If the spring exerts a negative force on one of the masses, will it also exert a negative force on the other mass?

You're going to try to find normal mode solutions in the form

x1 = A1cos(ωt + ##\phi##)
x2 = A2cos(ωt + ##\phi##)

Rather than add the two differential equations, try solving them simultaneously for A1 and A2 and see what happens.

Last edited:
Oops, I did miss a negative. So it'd be
m1*a1=-m1*g*(x1/l)-kΔx
m2*a2=-m2*g*(x2/l)+kΔx

Ploughing through it and setting some constant (I'm going to pick [itex]\eta[/itex]) [itex]\eta[/itex]=mn*xn

And using [itex]\omega[/itex]g,n2=(g*mn)/l
So then:
[itex]\eta[/itex]1+[itex]\omega[/itex]g,12*x1
[itex]\eta[/itex]2+[itex]\omega[/itex]g,22*x2

Then solving them I get (I think):
x1=A1cos([itex]\omega[/itex]g,1+[itex]\phi[/itex]1)
x2=A2cos([itex]\omega[/itex]g,2+[itex]\phi[/itex]2)

aseylys said:
Oops, I did miss a negative. So it'd be
m1*a1=-m1*g*(x1/l)-kΔx
m2*a2=-m2*g*(x2/l)+kΔx

That looks good.

Ploughing through it and setting some constant (I'm going to pick [itex]\eta[/itex]) [itex]\eta[/itex]=mn*xn

And using [itex]\omega[/itex]g,n2=(g*mn)/l
So then:
[itex]\eta[/itex]1+[itex]\omega[/itex]g,12*x1
[itex]\eta[/itex]2+[itex]\omega[/itex]g,22*x2

I don't follow what you did there.

Then solving them I get (I think):
x1=A1cos([itex]\omega[/itex]g,1+[itex]\phi[/itex]1)
x2=A2cos([itex]\omega[/itex]g,2+[itex]\phi[/itex]2)

In a normal mode, both particles will have the same frequency. That is, you should have

x1=A1cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t+[itex]\phi[/itex]1)
x2=A2cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t+[itex]\phi[/itex]2)

with the same value of ##\omega## for both particles. You need to substitute these expressions into your differential equations.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing the concept then. I don't really understand why they'd have the same frequency. If one mass is heavier than the other wouldn't it have a lower frequency?

It's essentially part of the definition of "normal mode" that each particle has the same frequency. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mode.

Also, in a normal mode, the particles move either "in phase" with each other or "out of phase" with each other. This mean that you can assume that the phase constant ##\phi## is the same for each particle. "Out of phase" then means that A1 and A2 will have opposite signs. In finding the normal modes, you can actually just let ##\phi = 0##.

So, you can make the assumption that the motion of each particle is described by
x1=A1cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)
x2=A2cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)

If you sub these into your two equations of motion, you will be able to determine the possible normal mode frequencies and whether the particles move in phase or out of phase in each mode.

[EDIT: You can explore the normal modes of a similar system here: http://www.falstad.com/coupled/
You can change to 2 masses and you can vary the individual masses (click on "mouse:pull string"). You can select either normal mode or a combination of the modes (slide the two dots near the middle left side of the screen).]

Last edited:

1. What is a non-similar coupled pendulum?

A non-similar coupled pendulum is a system of two or more pendulums that are connected to each other in a way that they have different lengths, masses, or other physical properties.

2. How does a non-similar coupled pendulum behave?

A non-similar coupled pendulum exhibits complex and chaotic behavior, as the different properties of each pendulum affect their motion and cause them to interact with each other in unpredictable ways.

3. What are the applications of non-similar coupled pendulums?

Non-similar coupled pendulums have been used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to study complex systems and chaotic behavior. They can also be used as a teaching tool to demonstrate concepts of synchronization and resonance.

4. How does the length and mass of each pendulum affect the behavior of a non-similar coupled pendulum?

The length and mass of each pendulum play a crucial role in the behavior of a non-similar coupled pendulum. The longer and heavier pendulums will have a slower period and will dominate the motion of the system, while the shorter and lighter pendulums will have a faster period and will have a lesser influence on the overall motion.

5. Can a non-similar coupled pendulum ever reach a state of perfect synchronization?

Yes, under certain conditions, a non-similar coupled pendulum can reach a state of perfect synchronization where all pendulums move in unison. This is known as a "resonant state" and occurs when the different properties of the pendulums are in a specific ratio. However, this state is unstable and can easily be disrupted by even small disturbances.