Solving for time when delta x=0?

In summary, the physics book states that when x(final) equals x(initial), the time is given by t=-2V(initial)/a. This is based on the observation that when there is no change in x, the velocity and acceleration must both be zero. The book uses this concept to solve for t in the equation \frac 1 2 at^2 + v_0t + (x_0-x_f) = 0, which has two solutions when x0=xf. This formula is applicable for both horizontal and vertical motion, as long as the acceleration is constant.
atypical
So my physics book says "from x(final)=x(initial)+V(initial)t+1/2at^2 observe that when x(final)=x(initial), the time is given by t=-2V(initial)/a"
Now if change in x is equal to 0, wouldn't your velocity v(initial)t from above along with your acceleration also be zero?
How is the book getting the t equation when delta x is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if x is the height of an object thrown into the air?

fzero said:
What if x is the height of an object thrown into the air?

ok, so what I said is correct for horizontal movement but not necessarily true for vertical moment, correct? I still do not see how the book is getting the time formula from observing that equation.

atypical said:
Now if change in x is equal to 0, wouldn't your velocity v(initial)t from above along with your acceleration also be zero?
That is one solution, yes. It is the trivial solution.

How is the book getting the t equation when delta x is zero?
In general you have

[tex]\frac 1 2 at^2 + v_0t + (x_0-x_f) = 0[/tex]

That is a quadratic equation in t. Quadratic equations have two solutions. In the special case x0=xf this reduces to

[tex]\frac 1 2 at^2 + v_0t = 0[/tex]

Factoring out the common t on the left-hand side,

[tex](t)(\frac 1 2 at + v_0) = 0[/tex]

So the two solutions are given by [itex]t=0[/itex] and [itex]1/2 a t +v_0 = 0[/itex].

Ok, that made complete sense. I am a bit rusty on my math and forgot when you factor "t" out you get two solutions. But i am having trouble visually imagining this. Say you visually imagine x position graph. If there is no change in x horizontally (when x(initial)=x(final)), you would have a constant line between your initial and final values of x in that time interval. Now, if your position remains a constant, then you can't have any slope therefore your velocity and acceleration would have to be zero. What am i overlooking?

atypical said:
Ok, that made complete sense. I am a bit rusty on my math and forgot when you factor "t" out you get two solutions. But i am having trouble visually imagining this. Say you visually imagine x position graph. If there is no change in x horizontally (when x(initial)=x(final)), you would have a constant line between your initial and final values of x in that time interval. Now, if your position remains a constant, then you can't have any slope therefore your velocity and acceleration would have to be zero. What am i overlooking?

The position is not a constant, while

[tex]x(t=t_i) = x(t=t_f),[/tex]

for times [tex]t_i<t<t_f[/tex] it's given by [tex]x(t)[/tex]. What is physically happening is that the acceleration [tex]a[/tex] must act in the opposite direction from the initial velocity [tex]v_i[/tex]. At some time [tex]t=t_*[/tex], the velocity [tex]v(t_*)=0[/tex] and after that the object is pushed back until it's at its initial position.

The formula doesn't care whether or not this is horizontal or vertical motion as long as the acceleration is constant. The case of vertical motion where [tex]a=-g[/tex] is due to gravity is just the clearest real-life example.

1. What is the meaning of "delta x=0" in relation to time?

The term "delta x=0" means that there is no change in the position or distance traveled over a certain time period. It is often used in physics and mathematics to represent a stationary object or a constant velocity.

2. How is time calculated when delta x=0?

When delta x=0, time can be calculated using the formula t = delta x/v, where t is time, delta x is the change in position, and v is the velocity. This formula is based on the fact that time is equal to the distance traveled divided by the speed of the object.

3. Can you solve for time when delta x=0 if the velocity is unknown?

No, it is not possible to solve for time when delta x=0 without knowing the velocity. The velocity is a crucial component in the formula for calculating time, so without it, the equation is incomplete and cannot be solved.

4. How does solving for time when delta x=0 relate to motion?

Solving for time when delta x=0 is closely related to motion because it represents a stationary object or a constant velocity. In both cases, there is no change in the position of the object over time, so the time can be calculated using the formula t = delta x/v.

5. Can solving for time when delta x=0 be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, solving for time when delta x=0 can be applied to real-life situations. For example, if a car is traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, and there is no change in its position, then delta x=0 and the time can be calculated using the t= delta x/v formula. This can also be applied to objects in space that are moving at a constant speed.