Solving for Upward Acceleration: Using a Basic Pulley System

• Thread starter eatingblaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the man's upward acceleration is 1.145 ms-2 due to the 361 N force he exerts on the rope.
eatingblaa
1. To hoist himself into a tree, a 67.2-kg man ties one end of a nylon rope around his waist and throws the other end over a branch of the tree. He then pulls downward on the free end of the rope with a force of 361 N. Neglect any friction between the rope and the branch, and determine the man's upward acceleration.
2. f=ma3.I thought that the amns weight at the other end would be

67.2(9.81) = 659.232N

and this would make an overall force of 298.232 but not up, down,

this would give an acceleration of -4.42 ms-2

but this is wrong

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How many places does the rope pull on the man?

ah okay two different places never thought of it like that,

okay so now I am thinking that his weight is split between both his waist and arm,

659.232 /2 = 329.616N

361 - 329.616 = 31.384 N that are free to pull himself vertically,

a =f/m =31.384/27.4 = 1.145 ms-2

I hope this is right, thank you, I also just thought a lot more about what this question meant, he would have been getting awful rope burn dropping at 4.42 ms-2 :)

damn still wrong, have no idea

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but you made a few errors. Try this:

What upward forces act on the man? Downward forces? What's the net force?

Apply Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

Okay let's see,

Upward forces:

pulling down on the rope @ 361 N

tension in the rope @ ?

Downward forces:

weight of the man @ 67.2 x 9.81 = 659.232 N

eatingblaa said:
Upward forces:

pulling down on the rope @ 361 N

tension in the rope @ ?
All we care about are forces on the man. But if the man pulls on the rope with a force of 361 N, what must be the tension in the rope? And how many time does that tension pull up on the man?

Downward forces:

weight of the man @ 67.2 x 9.81 = 659.232 N

tension in the rope would be 361 N and would be on both sides? so cancel each other out?

so the only forces on the man are his weight and pulling himself up?

sorry if I am missing something completely, I feel like there is still something to click with me in this question

eatingblaa said:
tension in the rope would be 361 N and would be on both sides?
Yes, the tension in the rope is 361 N, and the tension is the same at both ends of the rope.
so cancel each other out?
Why would they cancel out? The rope pulls up twice. So the upward force is twice the tension.
so the only forces on the man are his weight and pulling himself up?
Gravity (his weight) is a downward force on the man. When he pulls down on the rope, the rope pulls back on him--twice. (But all we care about when trying to find the man's acceleration are the forces on the man. Sure, he also exerts forces on the rope, but we don't care.)

okay so upward forces on the man are the tension on the rope caused by the man pulling one side, these are 361 x 2 = 722 N

downward forces is his weight caused by gravity = 659.232 N

Net Force = 62.768

a = 0.934 ms-2 ?

sorry for being so slow tonight

Looks good!

thanks for all the help, now i just need to figure out my other question posted down lower,

and how to mark this as done

Related to Solving for Upward Acceleration: Using a Basic Pulley System

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It is used to lift or move heavy objects by redirecting the force applied.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by changing the direction of the force applied to it. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the object on the other end of the rope is lifted or moved in the opposite direction.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed pulley, movable pulley, and compound pulley. A fixed pulley has a stationary axle and is used to change the direction of the force. A movable pulley has a moving axle and is used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. A compound pulley combines multiple fixed and movable pulleys to create a mechanical advantage.

4. What are the advantages of using a pulley?

Using a pulley allows for easier lifting and moving of heavy objects, as it reduces the amount of force needed. It also allows for a change in direction of the force, making it easier to move objects in different directions. Additionally, using a compound pulley can create a mechanical advantage, making it even easier to lift heavy objects.

5. What are some real-life applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are commonly used in everyday life, such as in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in exercise machines, window blinds, and flagpoles. In addition, pulleys are essential in sailing and rock climbing, as they allow for the hoisting of sails and the lifting of heavy equipment.