Solving for v: Seeking Guidance for Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation to find the velocity of a balloon filled with sand. The equations F = mdv/dt + vdm/dt and F = R - m(t)g are mentioned, with R = M0g. The user asks for hints on how to proceed and is reminded to be careful with the use of m and M. The conversation ends with the user confirming their calculations for m(t) and asking about the assumption that M ~ m, which is deemed incorrect.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Kindly see the attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As with all such questions, its in setting everything up that I'm having some trouble.

I know that F = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. And also that F = R - m(t)g, but R = M0g. From here though I don't know how to proceed to obtain the differential equation to solve for v. Any hints?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• WP_20150204_09_15_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150204_09_15_26_Pro.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
samjohnny said:
I know that F = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. And also that F = R - m(t)g, but R = M0g.

Careful there. Is the m in the first equation the same as the m in the second equation?

Also, you have been given m(t), right?

How sure are you that F = m dv/dt + v dm/dt? Using principles of conservation of momentum in systems that are explicitly not closed is a tricky thing to get right.

In the frame of reference in which the balloon is momentarily at rest, v = 0 and the v dm/dt term goes away. Acceleration does not change depending on the choice of reference frame. It follows that F = m dv/dt or, more familiarly, F = ma.

Thanks for all the replies. I apologise for not getting back until now, my internet has been on the fritz. Ok, so I'm trying to be more careful with my m's. M is for the mass of the balloon, and m for the mass of the sand. So I have F = Mdv/dt = R - M(t)g, where R = M0g, and m(t) is the mass of the sand in the balloon. I calculated m(t) and got m(t) = m0(1 - t/T). Is that right so far? I'm just about to plug that into my force equation and I'll get back to you all on how that goes. Thanks

Update: Ok so in my force equation I have M(t)g, but I have only worked out m(t). Would it be valid to make the assumption that since the mass of the balloon << mass of sand, that their combined mass is approximately the mass of the sand. I.e. M ~ m?

Last edited:
Anyone?

samjohnny said:
M is for the mass of the balloon, and m for the mass of the sand. So I have F = Mdv/dt = R - M(t)g, where R = M0g, and m(t) is the mass of the sand in the balloon. I calculated m(t) and got m(t) = m0(1 - t/T). Is that right so far?
Yes. This all looks correct.
Update: Ok so in my force equation I have M(t)g, but I have only worked out m(t). Would it be valid to make the assumption that since the mass of the balloon << mass of sand, that their combined mass is approximately the mass of the sand. I.e. M ~ m?
No. The stated problem is careful to distinguish between m and M. You must be equally careful.

Thanks for all the help!

Related to Solving for v: Seeking Guidance for Differential Equation

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change.

Why is it important to solve for v in a differential equation?

Solving for v allows us to find the specific solution to the differential equation, which is necessary for understanding the behavior of the system or phenomenon being modeled.

What are the common methods for solving a differential equation?

The common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series or numerical methods.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the known values of the dependent variable at a specific point in time. These conditions are necessary for finding the particular solution to a differential equation.

Are there any software programs that can help with solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several software programs such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple that have built-in tools for solving differential equations. These programs can save time and effort in finding solutions to complex equations.