Solving for Work Using Calculus

In summary, the task was to calculate the work done removing water from a parabolic water tank with a pipe extending from the top. After inverting the tank, it was found that the work done was not the same due to the different distribution of water levels. The inverted parabola required more work to remove the water due to the greater distance the lower water levels had to travel.
Markovnikov

Homework Statement

A parabolic reflector is being used as a water tank. The tank follows y = √(60) * x2. There is a 12 meter pipe extending from the top of the tank. The width of the top of the tank should be 2 meters in length. Calculate the work done removing the water.

Now invert the tank, calculate the work done removing the water.

Homework Equations

Work = (Density)*∫A(y)D(y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1.

A(y) = π*r2 or also π*x2 here.
If y = √(60) * x2 then x2 = y/√(60).
Hence, A(y) = π*(y/√(60)).

D(y) = Distance water travels = (12+√60-y)

My limits of integration are the "distance" of water or 0 to √60. Density = 1000 kg/m3

Integral: 1000π ∫(y/√(60))*(12+√60-y)dy from 0 to √60

Part 2.

Inverting the tank: Take the negative of the function and add back what is needed to set the intersection of the y-axis back to where it was.
If y = -√(60)*x2 + √60 then x2 = (y -√60)/(-√60).
Hence, A(y) = π*(y -√60)/(-√60)

My limits of integration are the "distance" of water or 0 to √60. Density = 1000 kg/m3

Integral: 1000π ∫((y -√60)/(-√60))*(12+√60-y)dy from 0 to √60

I don't think it is necessary to solve the integrals, but for some reason that I am not seeing...I am not getting the same answer. If it is the same tank, just inverted, it should be the same amount of work, right?

Can anyone help me in seeing (what I've been trying to see for...oh...4 hours :smile:) what I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
- Chemistry Major attempting to do Physics -

P.S. I'm new here, so if I did anything wrong, let me know and sorry! :-p

Physics news on Phys.org
Markovnikov said:

Homework Statement

A parabolic reflector is being used as a water tank. The tank follows y = √(60) * x2. There is a 12 meter pipe extending from the top of the tank. The width of the top of the tank should be 2 meters in length. Calculate the work done removing the water.

Now invert the tank, calculate the work done removing the water.

Homework Equations

Work = (Density)*∫A(y)D(y)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1.

If y = √(60) * x2 then x2 = y/√(60).
Hence, A(y) = π*(y/√(60)).

Integral: 1000π ∫(y/√(60))*(12+√60-y)dy from 0 to √60

Part 2.

Inverting the tank: Take the negative of the function and add back what is needed to set the intersection of the y-axis back to where it was.
If y = -√(60)*x2 + √60 then x2 = (y -√60)/(-√60).
Hence, A(y) = π*(y -√60)/(-√60)

Integral: 1000π ∫((y -√60)/(-√60))*(12+√60-y)dy from 0 to √60

I don't think it is necessary to solve the integrals, but for some reason that I am not seeing...I am not getting the same answer. If it is the same tank, just inverted, it should be the same amount of work, right?
NO! The inverted parabola has more of its water lower, that has to be lifted a greater height so requires more work than the upright parabola.

Can anyone help me in seeing (what I've been trying to see for...oh...4 hours :smile:) what I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
- Chemistry Major attempting to do Physics -

P.S. I'm new here, so if I did anything wrong, let me know and sorry! :-p

I thought that the upright parabola had more water at the top, less water at the bottom. The less bit of water took more time to travel and the large amount of water took less time to travel.

Compared to the parabola upside down, the large amount of water took more time to travel and the less amount of water too less time to travel.

I thought these would sort of "cancel" each other out and give the same amount of work?

I could have swore my teacher said they would give the same amount of work - perhaps I'm worrying for nothing!

Thanks for the help!

Related to Solving for Work Using Calculus

1. What is calculus and how is it used to solve for work?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change. It is used to solve for work by analyzing the relationship between variables such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration to determine the total work done by a force.

2. What are the key principles of calculus that are applied to solving for work?

The key principles of calculus that are applied to solving for work include derivatives, integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function, while integrals are used to find the area under a curve. The fundamental theorem of calculus connects these two concepts and allows us to find the total work done by finding the area under the curve of a force vs. displacement graph.

3. How is the concept of work related to forces and motion?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In physics, a force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a change in motion. Therefore, when a force acts on an object and causes it to move, work is being done.

4. What is the significance of solving for work using calculus?

Solving for work using calculus allows us to accurately calculate the work done by a force in various situations, such as when the force is constant or changing. It also allows us to analyze the relationship between work, forces, and motion in a more precise and comprehensive way.

5. Can calculus also be used to solve for other physical quantities besides work?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve for other physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, displacement, and energy. It is a powerful tool that is widely used in physics and other sciences to analyze and solve complex problems involving change and motion.