Solving [H,x] Operator Algebra

• Thread starter FarticleFysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving [H,x] where H is the Hamiltonian operator and x is the position operator, assuming one dimensional potential energy, U(x). The commutator is found to be -i\hbar(p_op)/m, but further work is needed to find the correct Hamiltonian for the given commutation relations.
FarticleFysics
I'm trying to practice some operator algebra..

Solve [H,x] where H is the Hamiltonian operator, x is position operator, and assuming one dimensional potential energy, U(x).

I know the commutator comes out as -ih_bar(p_op)/m

Here is my work so far.

[H,x] = Hx - xH

note: H = [ -ih_bar(p/2m) + U(x) ]

so.. plug it in.. [ -ih_bar(p/2m) + U(x) ] x - x [ -ih_bar(p/2m) + U(x) ]

( x U(x) and -x U(x) cancel)

now.. -(ih_bar/2m)(p x) + (ih_bar/2m)(x p)

-(ih_bar/2m)[ p x - x p ]

x and p are both operators.. so I know they don't cancel.. I'm kind of lost at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]px - xp[/itex] is just another way of writing [itex][p,x][/itex], which by definition is [itex]i\hbar[/itex]. However, this doesn't give you the answer you're looking for, because your Hamiltonian isn't right. The standard nonrelativistic Hamiltonian is [itex]\frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + U(\hat{x})[/itex], which should give you the commutation relations you're looking for.

Oh yeah.. haha thanks.

Related to Solving [H,x] Operator Algebra

1. What is the [H,x] operator algebra?

The [H,x] operator algebra is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It involves using operators to represent physical observables, such as position and momentum, and their relationships with each other.

2. How is the [H,x] operator algebra used in scientific research?

The [H,x] operator algebra is used to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics, such as calculating the energy states of a system or predicting the behavior of particles. It is also used in fields such as chemistry and material science to study the properties of molecules and materials.

3. What are the key principles of the [H,x] operator algebra?

The key principles of the [H,x] operator algebra include the commutator relationship between operators, which describes how two operators interact with each other, and the eigenvalue equation, which relates the operator to the physical quantity it represents.

4. How is the [H,x] operator algebra related to other mathematical concepts?

The [H,x] operator algebra is closely related to linear algebra, as operators can be represented as matrices and follow similar rules of manipulation. It is also connected to complex analysis, as the eigenvalue equation often involves solving complex equations.

5. What are the applications of the [H,x] operator algebra outside of quantum mechanics?

The [H,x] operator algebra has applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and finance. It is also used in engineering and computer science to model and analyze systems with multiple variables and complex dynamics.