1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving integrals

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] solving integrals

Hello, I need your help please?

It might seem obvious to you but I can't seem to get my head around how to solve this one.

int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx , from lower boundary =1, upper boundary = infinity.

Thanks indvance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Will need someone else to verify my answer but here goes nothing.
    int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx , from lower boundary =1, upper boundary = infinity
    the answer is: (replacing infinity with t) lim t->infinity[1/2ln(t^4-t^2)-1/2ln0]=
    -1/2ln0, ln0 is undefined from this there is no answer.

Hope my answer is correct. (-:

4. Aug 13, 2003 #3
    I got Pi/2, and the integral to be arctan(√(x2-1). How did you approach this, LQG?

5. Aug 13, 2003 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

y=x*sqrt(x^2-1)
    int[1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1))]dx
    int[1/y]dx
    as you know the inegral of 1/y=lny+c

what's wrong with it?
    :smile:

6. Aug 13, 2003 #5
    ∫1/ydy = ln(y)

You integrated w.r.t y, when you should have integrated w.r.t x. Try a substitution.

7. Aug 13, 2003 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i see, what is your way to this problem?

8. Aug 13, 2003 #7
    First, let's use a u-substitution.

Let u = x2 - 1
    x = √(u+1)

(u cannot be less than 0, so we can ignore the negative case)

Then, du/dx = 2x, so du = 1/2x

The integral ∫1/(x*√(x2-1)dx now becomes

∫1/(2u+2)√(u)du which simplifies to 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1)

Now, we notice something...if y = arctan(z), dy/dz = 1/(y2+1). So, if y = arctan(√z), dy/dz = 1/(2√z(z+1)), which looks exactly like our integral. Thus we now know 1/2∫du/sqrt(u)(u+1) = arctan(√u). (Can't think of a method that doesn't use foresight just yet).

Now, we have the problem of actually evaluating this from x = 1 to infinity. We shan't bother substituting u in terms of x. Instead, we work out the values of u at x=1 and infinity (0 and infinity respectively).

lim t-> infinity (arctan(t)) - arctan(0) = Pi/2 - 0 = Pi/2, since the tangent function approaches infinity as the angle approaches Pi/2 radians.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  9. Aug 13, 2003 #8

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You have a mistake it should be x=(u+1)^1/2

10. Aug 13, 2003 #9
    Yes, it should. Well spotted. Just a typo though, the result holds. I'll go edit it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  11. Aug 13, 2003 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

i dont understand how you got du/dx=2x
    shouldnt it be: x^2-1/u+1?

12. Aug 13, 2003 #11
    The substitution u = x2 - 1 was used. Differentiate this w.r.t. x to get du/dx. Seperate the differentials to get du in terms of dx. We need this to integrate in terms of du.

13. Aug 13, 2003 #12
    this integral is made easiest by recognizing it's just arcsec|x| (abs bars or not depending on how you define arcsec)

arcsec(inf) - arcsec(1) = pi/2 - 0 = pi/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook