Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0

• Thread starter projection
  • Start date
In summary, the author has attempted to solve a differential equation, but is stuck at a step where it says to take an equation of the form I(y,t)dy + J(y,t)dt = 0. After looking at the notes, it appears that the author needs to solve for y as a function of t in order to get an explicit form of the solution.
projection

Homework Statement

Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated them into their respective M and N functions. took their integrals:

[tex]\int Lcos(y)dy = Lsin(y) + g(y) + C[/tex]

[tex]\int sin(y)dx = -cos(y) + f(y) + C[/tex]

there the solution would be Lsine(y) -cos(y) + C.

this is confusing me a bit as I am used to seeing commonality between the two equations and the added f(y) and g(x) take form of the differences to create 2 similar equations... am i doing this right or am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
opps, i think the L is actually a t... so it is not a constant i think...

so would this be the solution now?
[tex]\int tcos(y)dy = tsin(y) + g(y) + C[/tex]

[tex]\int sin(y)dt = \int dt= tsin(y) + f(y) + C[/tex]

and the solution is [tex] tsin(y) [/tex] ?

If y' means dy/dt then you have

N=tcos(y) and M=sin(y). If we take your first integral we have

∂f/∂y= N = tcos(y) or f(x,y) = tsin(y) + g(t)

Now you also know that ∂f/∂t = M. So you need to find ∂f/∂t and equate it to M to get g(t).

Yes, the equation was not even an exact equation the way you had it before. I'm assuming y' means dy/dt.

Of course, tsin(y) is not the solution to the equation, but the function whose total derivative gives the differential equation.

Last edited:
LeonhardEuler said:
Yes, the equation was not even an exact equation the way you had it before. I'm assuming y' means dy/dt.

it doesn't say, but first i thought it was a constant, but remembered than most constants in DEs come as lamba or phi etc... so looking closer at the text and removing smudge made me see it was a t...

so have i done it right? the solution is tsin(y)... hate when text don't have answers for even numbered questions.

projection said:
it doesn't say, but first i thought it was a constant, but remembered than most constants in DEs come as lamba or phi etc... so looking closer at the text and removing smudge made me see it was a t...

so have i done it right? the solution is tsin(y)... hate when text don't have answers for even numbered questions.

It depends what you were looking for. If you were looking for F(y,t) such that dF(y,t) = 0 gives the equation, then yes. If you were looking for y(t) that solves the DE, then there is one more step to go.

LeonhardEuler said:
It depends what you were looking for. If you were looking for F(y,t) such that dF(y,t) = 0 gives the equation, then yes. If you were looking for y(t) that solves the DE, then there is one more step to go.

the exact problems i have been doing usually stop at this step... and only continue if intial conditions are provided... since no intial value are given (just says test exactness and solve), i am unsure about what more i must do.

When you solve an exact DE, you take an equation of the form I(y,t)dy + J(y,t)dt = 0 and show that it is equivalent to an equation dF(y,t) = 0, so that
F(y,t) = C.
The solution to the original equation can be written in implicit form as above, or explicitly by solving for y as a function of t. As it stands t sin(y) is not a solution,
t sin(y) = C
is, and to get an explicit form you need to solve for y as a function of t. It depends on what the exact directions are.

projection said:

Homework Statement

t·cos(y)·y' + sin(y) = 0 (corrected per post #2)

The Attempt at a Solution

It is separable:

[tex]t\,{{dy}\over{dt}}=\,-\,{{\sin(y)}\over{\cos(y)}}[/tex]

[tex]-\,{{\cos(y)}\over{\sin(y)}}\,dy={{dt}\over{t}}[/tex]

Integrate both sides. (I prefer to say, "Take the anti-differential.")

checking my notes, the example solution stops at the statement that "the equation (exe: tsin(y)) determines y(t) implicity"... so in this case, the solution would be tsin(y) = c (implicit form)

so, unless i solve for y as a function of the other variable, i should state the solution is an implicit defintion?

projection said:
checking my notes, the example solution stops at the statement that "the equation (exe: tsin(y)) determines y(t) implicity"... so in this case, the solution would be tsin(y) = c (implicit form)

so, unless i solve for y as a function of the other variable, i should state the solution is an implicit defintion?

Yes.

LeonhardEuler said:
Yes.

thank you.

Related to Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0

What is the equation "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" used for?

The equation "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" is used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of an object with friction or the behavior of an oscillating system.

What does the variable y represent in the equation "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0"?

The variable y typically represents the position, displacement, or angle of an object or system in the physical world.

What is the solution to "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0"?

The solution to "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" depends on the initial conditions and the specific problem being modeled. It can be solved analytically or numerically using various methods, such as separation of variables or numerical integration.

How does "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" relate to other differential equations?

"Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" is a type of first-order ordinary differential equation (ODE) that can be solved using various techniques commonly used in solving ODEs, such as integrating factors and substitution methods.

What are some real-world applications of "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0"?

The equation "Solving Lcos(y)y' + sin(y) = 0" can be applied to various physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator, or the motion of a mass on a frictional surface. It can also be used in fields such as control engineering and circuit analysis.