Solving Limits that can't be rationalized (i think)

• Thread starter hoaver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discussed methods for evaluating limits, specifically using L'Hopital's rule and rationalizing the denominator. The participants also shared their approaches for solving the given limits and provided helpful tips for simplifying calculations. One method mentioned was multiplying by the conjugate as a way to remove a pesky 0/0 situation.
hoaver

Homework Statement

[tex]
\lim_{x\to 4}\left(\frac{2-\sqrt{x}}{3-\sqrt{2x+1}}\right) [/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{x\to 0}\left(\frac{2^2^x {-2^x}}{2^x{-1}}\right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rationalizing but doesn't really help in evaluating these limits.

If a limit cannot be factored, what other ways are there of evaluating limits?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first I can't seem to figure it out either. The denominator can be rationalised of course, but what comes after that I'm unsure.

As for the second, notice that [tex]2^{2x}=(2^x)^2[/tex] since [tex](a^b)^n=a^{bn}[/tex]
From there you can factorise and simplify :wink:

Mentallic said:
For the first I can't seem to figure it out either. The denominator can be rationalised of course, but what comes after that I'm unsure.

As for the second, notice that [tex]2^{2x}=(2^x)^2[/tex] since [tex](a^b)^n=a^{bn}[/tex]
From there you can factorise and simplify :wink:

Ah, okay, I see how to solve the 2nd one now, thanks =).

Hopefully someone knows how to solve the 1st one

Have you learned L'Hopital's rule yet? If so, the first limit is fairly simple with that method.

We have not learned L'Hopital's rule or derivatives yet =(

hoaver said:
We have not learned L'Hopital's rule or derivatives yet =(

In that case try multiplying both the numerator and denominator by [itex](2+\sqrt{x})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})[/itex] and then simplify...this should remove that pesky 0/0.

gabbagabbahey said:
In that case try multiplying both the numerator and denominator by [itex](2+\sqrt{x})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})[/itex] and then simplify...this should remove that pesky 0/0.

note I am not thread stater
when i apply l'Hôpital's i will get 0.75
however if i don't i get infinity

icystrike said:
note I am not thread stater
when i apply l'Hôpital's i will get 0.75
however if i don't i get infinity

0.75=3/4 is corrrect. You shouldn't be getting infinity using my method...what is [tex]\left(\frac{(2-\sqrt{x})(2+\sqrt{x})}{(3-\sqrt{2x+1})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})}\right) \left( \frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}{2+\sqrt{x}} \right)[/tex]? :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
0.75=3/4 is corrrect. You shouldn't be getting infinity using my method...what is [tex]\left(\frac{(2-\sqrt{x})(2+\sqrt{x})}{(3-\sqrt{2x+1})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})}\right) \left( \frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}{2+\sqrt{x}} \right)[/tex]? :wink:

opps. my bad. miscalculated

[tex]\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{2-\sqrt{x}}{3-\sqrt{2x+1}}\right)*\frac{2+\sqrt{x}}{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}*\frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}{2+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Or:

[tex]\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{2-\sqrt{x}}{3-\sqrt{2x+1}}\right)*\frac{2+\sqrt{x}}{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}*\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Regards.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Later, I also found it to work with using this:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{2-\sqrt{x}}{3-\sqrt{2x+1}}\right)*\frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}[/tex]
Simplifies to
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{(2-\sqrt{x})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})}{8-2x}}\right)[/tex]
to
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{(2-\sqrt{x})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})}{2(2-\sqrt{x})(2+\sqrt{x})}}\right)[/tex]

dividing out the 2-sqrt(x) results in:
[tex]
\lim_{x \to 4}\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1})}{2(2+\sqrt{x})}\right)[/tex]

after which I just subbed in 4 for the answer 3/4

edit: does anyone know what this method is called? multiplying by the ______ (what i did to the original equation)

Last edited:
You did rationalization of the denominator.

Regards.

hoaver said:
edit: does anyone know what this method is called? multiplying by the ______ (what i did to the original equation)

You multiplied by its conjugate.

Mentallic said:
You multiplied by its conjugate.

Thats the one. Thanks =)

Related to Solving Limits that can't be rationalized (i think)

1. What is a limit that can't be rationalized?

A limit that can't be rationalized is one that cannot be simplified or expressed as a finite, rational number. This often occurs when dealing with infinite or undefined values in a mathematical expression.

2. How do you solve a limit that can't be rationalized?

To solve a limit that can't be rationalized, you can use techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule, which allows you to take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of a fraction to simplify the expression. You can also use algebraic manipulation or substitution to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What are some common examples of limits that can't be rationalized?

Some common examples of limits that can't be rationalized include limits involving square roots, logarithms, or trigonometric functions. For example, the limit of √x as x approaches infinity, or the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0, cannot be simplified to a rational number.

4. Are there any special rules for solving limits that can't be rationalized?

Yes, there are certain rules and techniques that can be used to solve limits that can't be rationalized. These include L'Hôpital's rule, as mentioned before, as well as the squeeze theorem, which allows you to determine the limit of a function by comparing it to other known functions with the same limit.

5. Why is it important to understand how to solve limits that can't be rationalized?

Understanding how to solve limits that can't be rationalized is important because it allows you to evaluate and understand mathematical expressions that may involve infinite or undefined values. This is especially useful in fields such as calculus, where limits are used to calculate derivatives and integrals.