Solving Mechanics Basics CW Homework: F and Theta

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution does not provide a clear answer. It would be helpful if the OP could provide more information such as the dimensions of the bracket, the angles at which the forces are applied, and the unit of measurement for the resultant force.
Jintachi

Homework Statement

The question in short: If the resultant force acting on the bracket is 750N along the x positive axis, what is the magnitude of F and the direction (theta)

iZaWIYsl.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for several hours now trying to get this done. I have made a table for the components, Fx and Fy.

Fx
325cos(22.61) = 300.0215
600cos(40) = 459.62

Fy
325sin(22.61)=124.9483
-600sin(40) = -385.67

Rx = 759.6415
Ry = -260.6857

But I don't know where to go from there. In all honesty I really don't have much idea on what to do.

Please help me out. Thanks for your time for reading this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is 325N making an angle 22.61 degrees with the horizontal?

Oops. forgot to mention, I got 22.61degrees from the triangle on the 325N vector.
I got it by doing:
tan-1(5/12) = 22.6198

Jintachi said:
Oops. forgot to mention, I got 22.61degrees from the triangle on the 325N vector.
I got it by doing:
tan-1(5/12) = 22.6198

I do not understand . What is 5 and 12 ?

Jintachi said:
I got it by doing:
tan-1(5/12) = 22.6198

You need to review the definition of the tangent.

Tanya Sharma said:
I do not understand . What is 5 and 12 ?
SteamKing said:
You need to review the definition of the tangent.

How would you guys start this? I'm sorry to ask this but I'm fairly clueless. I'm pretty sure what I've said to the above post makes no sense

You need to write the complete question .It is not clear from the OP what are the given parameters .Please state clearly what is given in the question and if any picture is given in the question then attach the image .

Can you see the image?

Attachments

• 1387820665250.jpg
    1387820665250.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 718
Okay...

tan-1(5/12) is the angle which 325N force makes with the vertical not horizontal .

If a force P makes an angle θ with the horizontal then what are its components in x and y directions ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Okay...

tan-1(5/12) is the angle which 325N force makes with the vertical not horizontal .

If a force P makes an angle θ with the horizontal then what are its components in x and y directions ?

Pcosθ for x component, and sin for y?

Jintachi said:
Pcosθ for x component, and sin for y?

Yes...horizontal component is Pcosθ and vertical component is Psinθ.

If there are two forces P and R making angles θ and α respectively with the x axis,then the components of the resultant force ,T, in x and y direction (i.e Tx and Ty) will be

Tx = Pcosθ+Rcosα

Ty = Psinθ+Rsinα

i.e we algebraically add the x components to get the x-component of the resultant force .Similarly we do for y-components.

Does this make sense ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Yes...horizontal component is Pcosθ and vertical component is Psinθ.

If there are two forces P and R making angles θ and α respectively with the x axis,then the components of the resultant force ,T, in x and y direction (i.e Tx and Ty) will be

Tx = Pcosθ+Rcosα

Ty = Psinθ+Rsinα

i.e we algebraically add the x components to get the x-component of the resultant force .Similarly we do for y-components.

Does this make sense ?

The only part which makes sense is where I have to add the x and y components to get the resultant of x and y. Where do I go from after I have the resultants?

Jintachi said:
If the resultant force acting on the bracket is 750N along the x positive axis

This does tell you about the component of the resultant force in x and y direction . What do you infer ?

1. What is the purpose of solving mechanics basics CW homework?

The purpose of solving mechanics basics CW homework is to practice applying the fundamental principles of mechanics to solve problems related to forces (F) and angles (theta). This helps to develop a better understanding of these concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

2. How do I approach solving mechanics basics CW homework?

To approach solving mechanics basics CW homework, it is important to first understand the given problem and identify what is being asked. Then, use the given information and known principles of mechanics to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams to visualize the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics basics CW homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics basics CW homework include not properly labeling or defining the variables, using incorrect equations or formulas, and not considering all forces or angles involved in the problem. It is also important to check and double check calculations for accuracy.

4. Can I use a calculator when solving mechanics basics CW homework?

Yes, you can use a calculator when solving mechanics basics CW homework. However, it is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the calculations and not solely rely on the calculator to solve the problem.

5. How can I check my answers when solving mechanics basics CW homework?

You can check your answers when solving mechanics basics CW homework by plugging the values back into the original equations and solving for the given variables. You can also compare your answer to the expected solution or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback.