Solving Mechanics Problem: Cessna at Taupo Airport with Easterly Wind of 38 km/h

• Thread starter aks_sky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a Cessna airplane leaving Taupo airport with certain wind conditions and airspeed. The problem requires using a wind vector triangle and doing geometry to find the distance from Taupo after 50 minutes of flying. The answer is found by multiplying the length of a line connecting the tip of the wind vector to the origin by 50 km. The speaker was able to solve the problem with the help of the other person.
aks_sky
On another day the Cessna leaves Taupo airport when there is an Easterly wind (i.e a wind blowing from direction East) of speed 38 km/h. If the plane starts out directly above Taupo with an airspeed v=137 km/h, pointing in a direction θ = 26 ° East of North, how far is it from Taupo after 50 min of flying at constant altitude?

i tried to do this problem but i cannot get a correct answer.. i tried all different ways but still i can't get it..
can u help please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question refers to what pilots call a 'wind vector triangle'. It belongs in the homework section, though. Welcome to PF.

You need to do some geometry. Draw a set axes, and mark them N, S, E and W. Now draw a line ( starting at the origin) at 28deg E of N with length 137 ( any units you like).
From the tip of this line draw another going E with length 38 ( same units).
Now connect the tip of this line with the origin ( Taupo).
The answer is the length of this line times 50 Km.

yup got it.

i got the answer

thanks a lot for your help.

thank u

Related to Solving Mechanics Problem: Cessna at Taupo Airport with Easterly Wind of 38 km/h

What is the basic principle of solving mechanics problems?

The basic principle of solving mechanics problems is to apply the laws of motion, specifically Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and solve the given problem. This involves identifying the forces acting on the system and applying mathematical equations to determine the resulting motion.

What is the significance of the easterly wind in this problem?

The easterly wind in this problem is significant because it is an external force acting on the Cessna aircraft. This force can affect the aircraft's speed, direction, and overall motion, and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

How does the Cessna's takeoff speed and direction change with the easterly wind?

The easterly wind of 38 km/h will create a tailwind for the Cessna, meaning that it will assist the aircraft in taking off by providing additional thrust. This will result in a higher takeoff speed and a shorter takeoff distance. The direction of takeoff will also be affected, as the Cessna will experience a force pushing it in the direction of the wind.

What other factors should be considered when solving this mechanics problem?

Other factors that should be considered when solving this mechanics problem include the weight and mass of the Cessna aircraft, the angle of the runway, and any other external forces acting on the aircraft, such as air resistance or friction. These factors will affect the overall motion and performance of the Cessna and should be included in the problem-solving process.

How can this mechanics problem be solved mathematically?

This mechanics problem can be solved mathematically by using equations such as Newton's second law (F=ma), the equations of motion (v=u+at and s=ut+1/2at^2), and the principles of vector addition to determine the resulting forces and motion of the Cessna. It is important to carefully analyze and setup the problem, identify all relevant forces, and use the appropriate equations to solve for the desired parameters.