Solving Momentum and Newton's Law: Ike and Jim's Truck Physics Problem

In summary, using Conservation of Momentum and Newton Third's Law, Jim moves off 2 metres per second faster than Ike.
Charles W

Homework Statement

Ike and Jim are sitting in toy trucks; the masses are 60kg and 40kg respectively. The trucks are moving at 8 metres per second along a track, with Ike's behind Jim's. Ike pushes Jim's truck away with a pole, and Jim moves off 2 metres per second faster than Ike. What is Jim's new speed?

Homework Equations

Ft = mv - mu

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using Conservation of Momentum and Newton Third's Law, but cannot seem to come to a correct solution.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles W said:

Homework Statement

Ike and Jim are sitting in toy trucks; the masses are 60kg and 40kg respectively. The trucks are moving at 8 metres per second along a track, with Ike's behind Jim's. Ike pushes Jim's truck away with a pole, and Jim moves off 2 metres per second faster than Ike. What is Jim's new speed?

Homework Equations

Ft = mv - mu

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using Conservation of Momentum and Newton Third's Law, but cannot seem to come to a correct solution.

Thanks!
What did you get using Conservation of Momentum and Newton Third's Law ?

Hi Charles:

Welcome to PF! We ask that members seeking help with HW problems post their questions in the appropriate HW form. This helps get relevant answers to your request fro help. This is why your post has been moved from the Pre-calculus HW forum.

Good Luck.

You need to actually show us what you did, not just state that you have done it, how else are we supposed to see where you go wrong?

I wrote down two expressions:

60u + 40v = 800kg metres per second (using the equation for momentum to work out 800 kg metres per second - (60*8) + (40*8)
v = u + 2 metres per second

Sorry for not providing enough information, but after this stage I could not think of any other approaches

So instead of v you write u+2 in that equation. That leaves one equation with u as the only unknown ...

So: 60u + 40(u+2) = 800kg metres per second
Then I can simplify this to 100u + 40 = 800 kg meters per second

Then I'm not sure where to go from here because the units don't seem to work for a subtraction?

Charles W said:
Then I'm not sure where to go from here because the units don't seem to work for a subtraction?

That would be because you have been far too liberal with your use of units on the left-hand side ...

Is 60u and 40u in kg metres per second as well?

Simply write out completely the variables involved (so: value and dimension) :
60u + 40(u+2) = 800kg metres per second
becomes
60 kg * u m/s + 40 kg * (u+2) m/s = (60+ 40) kg * 8 m/s

Do this until you're fluent and confident with it (and longer if you're smart).

Thank you - I can see the logic of splitting it up, but I cannot see how I am able to deduce the value of u from this?

You manipulate this until you have all knowns on the righthand side and u m/s on the left hand:
60 kg * u m/s + 40 kg * (u+2) m/s = (60+ 40) kg * 8 m/s
60 kg * u m/s + 40 kg * u m/s + 40 kg * 2 m/s = 100 kg * 8 m/s
(60 kg + 40 kg) * u m/s + 40 kg * 2 m/s = 100 * 8 kg m/s
and so on. It's like solving ##60 x + 40 (x+2) = 800## but a bit more extensive...

Oh, I understand now! Thank you very much for your help :)

Related to Solving Momentum and Newton's Law: Ike and Jim's Truck Physics Problem

1. What is Quick Mechanics 1?

Quick Mechanics 1 is a concept in physics that refers to the study of motion and the forces that cause objects to move.

2. How is Quick Mechanics 1 different from regular mechanics?

Quick Mechanics 1 is a simplified version of mechanics that focuses on basic principles and equations, while regular mechanics is a more complex and in-depth study that covers a wider range of topics.

3. What are some real-life applications of Quick Mechanics 1?

Quick Mechanics 1 can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the motion of a bouncing ball or the trajectory of a projectile.

4. Is Quick Mechanics 1 relevant to other scientific fields?

Yes, Quick Mechanics 1 is relevant to other scientific fields such as engineering and astronomy, as it provides a foundational understanding of motion and forces.

5. Can Quick Mechanics 1 be used to predict the future?

While Quick Mechanics 1 can be used to make predictions about the motion of objects, it cannot be used to predict the future with absolute certainty as it is based on mathematical models and assumptions.