How Do You Solve for Vf2 in a Momentum Equation?

• Thread starter physicsfreak9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the goal is to derive a formula for Vf2 when given two equations, m1Vi1 + m2Vi2=m1Vf1+ m2Vf2 and 1/2 m1Vi1 ^2 + 1/2m2Vi2 ^2= 1/2 m1Vf1 ^1 + 1/2 m2 Vf ^2. The approach is to use a system of equations and set both equations equal to Vf1, but the final formula for Vf2 should not include any m's. However, without knowing the specific question or seeing the work done, it is difficult to provide further assistance.
physicsfreak9
I was assigned a problem where I had to derive a formula. We were given

m1Vi1 + m2Vi2=m1Vf1+ m2Vf2
and
1/2 m1Vi1 ^2 + 1/2m2Vi2 ^2= 1/2 m1Vf1 ^1 + 1/2 m2 Vf ^2

Somehow, using combination, I have to get a formula that says Vf2=
Both Vf2 and Vf1 are unknown. I thought I could set both equations = to Vf1, then set those equations equal, and do it out, but it isn't working. Can someone help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the problem? It would help. Also, if you could show what you tried in more detail we could maybe see where you're going wrong.

I'm afraid there was no more instruction, other than that. Let me see if I can say it better. Only Vf1 and Vf2 are unknowns, so we have to solve for them. System of equations is the way to do it, I was told. Another hint I got was that the final answer, which is Vf2=... does not have any m's, they all cancel out somehow. I hope that is clearer. Thanks.

So you weren't actually given a question to solve? Just those two equations together? That's a little strange to me. Well, just do like you said you did, arrange one equation for one unknown and put it into the other equation and solve for the second unknown. Unless you state the question or show your work I can't really do much else for you. If you want us to check your work for math errors post what you did.

Last edited:
Uh well if you set both equations equal to Vi1, the first one is

Vf1= (m1vi +m2Vi2-m2Vf2)/m1

and the second one is

Vf1= sqrt [(m1vi1^2 + m2Vi2^2-m2Vf2^2)/m1]

Then, you set them equal.

(m1vi +m2Vi2-m2Vf2)/m1 = sqrt [(m1vi1^2 + m2Vi2^2-m2Vf2^2)/m1]

This gets rid of the Vf1s, so now we need to solve for Vf2. Can you help me out on that?

1. What is momentum and why is it important?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, and is a fundamental concept in physics.

2. How do I calculate momentum?

Momentum (p) can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v): p = m x v. It is usually measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s).

3. What is the equation for solving for final velocity (Vf) using momentum?

The equation is Vf = p / m, where p is the momentum and m is the mass of the object. This equation assumes that the initial velocity is 0 m/s.

4. What are some common units used for momentum and velocity?

The most common units for momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s) and newton-seconds (N-s). Velocity is usually measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to solving for final velocity?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the momentum before a collision or interaction will be equal to the momentum after the interaction. Therefore, if you know the initial momentum and mass of an object, you can use this principle to solve for the final velocity.