1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving ODE with variable coefficients

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I wanted to solve a ode which has Brownian motion as a variable coefficient

2. Relevant equations

2x2y'' + y' -ρy = 0

where x is the Brownian motion with respect to time
    ρ is a constant
    3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried power series with no solution. Is there a solution to this. IS there any easy way to solve this ODE. Once this ode is tranformed I need to find the roots.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    Any hints

I have tried to reduce the order but could not.

Is there any transformation that I can apply. I tried y = xr it did not work

Please guide me....

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maple 13 gives a solution involving exponentials, first degree polynomials, and
    Bessel functions multiplied together. This is also a special case of equation 17 at this link:
    http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/ode/ode-toc2.htm

Whether or not that will be helpful to you, I don't know.

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the hints.

I saw the solution in maple15 which involves intergal and exponetials.Its little complex.
    There is a tranformation required for this equation which I'm not able to get

Also it is not a special case of 17

Now in short
    I need to know a transformation when you differentiate you get 1 and if you differentiate it again you get x^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook