Solving an ODE with variable coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the methods of Frobenius and regular power series. The solution obtained is an infinite series on top of another infinite series, making it difficult to find a recognizable pattern. The conversation suggests using a hypergeometric series with variable argument -c1/x to get a solution in terms of powers of 1/x instead of x. The coefficients of the power series expansion are obtained through equating coefficients of xn, with a0=0 and am+1=[c2-(m-1)m]/[c1m(m+1)]am for m>=2.
c0der

Homework Statement

Solve the following:
[/B]
y'' = c2 / (x2 + c1*x) * y
c1, c2 are constants, x is variable

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the method of Frobenius and regular power series and obtained an infinite series on top of an infinite series, which is indefinite. What are the normal methods to solve that ODE? It's not quite in the Frobenius or Bessel forms

Physics news on Phys.org
I used a regular power series and there was no problem. Just multiply the equation by [itex] x^2+c_1 x [/itex] to get [itex] x^2 y''+c_1 x y''-c_2 y=0 [/itex].
The regular series gives only one of the solutions.So you should also consider a solution of the form [itex] y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+m} [/itex].

Last edited:
c0der said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following:
[/B]
c1, c2 are constants, x is variable

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the method of Frobenius and regular power series and obtained an infinite series on top of an infinite series, which is indefinite. What are the normal methods to solve that ODE? It's not quite in the Frobenius or Bessel forms

Maple gets a solution in terms of hypergeometric functions with (variable) argument ##-c_1/x##. Thus, the power-series expansion of Maple's solution will be in powers of ##1/x##, not of ##x## itself.

Thank you, I have done this however as follows:

Equating coefficients of x0 gives:
a0=0

For x1:

a2 = c2/2c1

Equating coefficients of xm:

am+1 = [ c2 - (m-1)m ] / [ c1m(m+1) ] am for m>=2

Then:

a3 = [ (c2 - 2) / 3!2!c12 ] a1

a4 = [ (c2 - 6)(c2 - 2)c2 / 4!3!c13 ] a1

a5 = [ (c2 - 12)(c2 - 6)(c2 - 2)c2 / 5!4!c14 ] a1

a6 = [ (c2 - 20)(c2 - 12)(c2 - 6)(c2 - 2)c2 / 6!5!c15 ] a1

How can I correlate this with the hypergeometric series or any other recognizable series? The numerator terms in the brackets have a pattern to it 2+4=6 6+6=12 12+8=20 etc but getting the terms in powers of m is difficult

c0der said:
Is that (c2 / (x2 + c1*x)) * y or c2 / ((x2 + c1*x) * y)?

(c2 / (x2 + c1x)) * y

1. What is an ODE with variable coefficients?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) with variable coefficients is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives, where the coefficients of the derivatives are also functions of the independent variable. This means that the coefficients of the derivatives can change depending on the value of the independent variable.

2. Why is solving an ODE with variable coefficients important?

Solving an ODE with variable coefficients is important because it allows us to model and understand many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It also helps us to make predictions and solve problems in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What methods are used to solve ODEs with variable coefficients?

There are several methods used to solve ODEs with variable coefficients, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of power series. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific characteristics of the ODE.

4. How do I know if I have solved an ODE with variable coefficients correctly?

To determine if an ODE with variable coefficients has been solved correctly, you can check the solution by substituting it into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. You can also check if the solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions that were given.

5. Are there any numerical methods for solving ODEs with variable coefficients?

Yes, there are several numerical methods for solving ODEs with variable coefficients, such as the Runge-Kutta method, the Taylor series method, and the finite difference method. These methods use a sequence of approximations to the solution, which can be refined to increase accuracy.