Solving Perpendicular Vectors: (a - 2b) \cdot (3a + 5b) Explanation and Solution

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of perpendicular vectors and their scalar product. It was shown that if two vectors are perpendicular, their scalar product is zero. This can be proven using the definition of the scalar product and the fact that when the angle between two vectors is 90 degrees, the cosine of that angle is equal to zero.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

If a and b are perpendicular, simplify [tex](a - 2b) \cdot (3a + 5b)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what they're asking, but to be perp. the angle between them is 90. So using the scalar

so a.b = 0??

The answer in the book it (3a² - 10b²) and I can see that they just multiplied the as and bs together, but why?

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
The answer in the book it (3a² - 10b²) and I can see that they just multiplied the as and bs together, but why?

You are to expand it as follows [itex]3a \cdot (a - 2b)+5b \cdot(a-2b)[/itex] and then use the fact that a.b=0

thomas49th said:
so a.b = 0??

Hi Thomas! :smile:

Yes, a.b = 0 …

so just expand (a-2b).(3a+5b) in the usual way, and use a.b = 0 :wink:

oh it's really easy ;) I was thinking that the each of the brackets were vectors when of course a and b are the vectors. I'm a silly billy.

How about this one

Use the definition of the scalar product to show that if two vectors are perpendicular, their scalar product is zero.

well a.b = |a||b|Cosx

and when x = 90° => cos x = 0 and that means

a.b = |a||b|.0
a.b = 0

but that's a bit easy isn't it?

Thanks

thomas49th said:
oh it's really easy ;) I was thinking that the each of the brackets were vectors when of course a and b are the vectors. I'm a silly billy.

How about this one

Use the definition of the scalar product to show that if two vectors are perpendicular, their scalar product is zero.

well a.b = |a||b|Cosx

a.b = |a||b|.0
a.b = 0

Thanks

yes that would be correct

thomas49th said:
Each of the quantities inside parentheses is a vector, made up of scalar multiples of a and b, which are themselves vectors.
thomas49th said:
How about this one

well a.b = |a||b|Cosx

a.b = |a||b|.0
a.b = 0

Thanks

Related to Solving Perpendicular Vectors: (a - 2b) \cdot (3a + 5b) Explanation and Solution

1. What are perpendicular vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a 90 degree angle. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero.

2. How can you determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can calculate their dot product. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the vectors are perpendicular.

3. Can perpendicular vectors have the same magnitude?

Yes, perpendicular vectors can have the same magnitude. The magnitude of a vector refers to its length, while the direction of a vector is determined by its components. Therefore, two vectors can have the same magnitude but still be perpendicular if their components are perpendicular to each other.

4. What is the significance of perpendicular vectors in physics and engineering?

Perpendicular vectors are important in physics and engineering because they can represent the forces acting on objects in different directions. This allows us to analyze the motion and stability of objects, as well as design structures that can withstand different forces.

5. Can three or more vectors be perpendicular to each other?

Yes, it is possible for three or more vectors to be perpendicular to each other. In fact, in three-dimensional space, it is possible for an infinite number of vectors to be perpendicular to each other.