Solving Physics Problems: Circus Performer Falling into a Safety Net

• Thread starter sonutulsiani
  • Start date
In summary, the circus performer falls into a safety net from a height of 4.0 m. His velocity decreases as he comes to a stop, and the average force acting on him is 0.20387 Newtons.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

A circus performer falls into a safety net from a height h above the net, coming to a halt after a further displacement within the safety net. In the following questions you will calculate various quantities regarding this event. In each question, derive a precise formula for the answer and only then substitute specific values into the variables of the formula. Do not use results from one question to solve another question as the round-off errors will accumulate. Choose downward as the positive y direction. Assume g = 9.81 m/s^2.

1. Calculate his velocity as he makes contact with the safety net, if h = 4.0 m. Give your answer in m/s, to one decimal place.

2. Find the change in the performer's momentum, to three significant figures, if he weighs 80.0 kg. Give your answer, including sign, in kg · m/s.

3. Assume constant acceleration and calculate the stopping time of the performer to two decimal places, if Δy = 1m. Give your answer in seconds.

4. Find the average force, including sign, acting on the performer while he is stopped by the net, using the impulse-momentum theorem. Give your answer in Newtons rounded to three significant figures.

5. Assume that the safety net is not in place; the circus performer hits the concrete floor from a height of 4m, and stops almost instantly, in Δt = 0.02 sec. What average force, including sign, would act on him then? Give your answer in Newtons, rounded to three significant figures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1 and 3, how should I do the rest?

1. 8.9
3. 0.45

Are they right?

Physics news on Phys.org
3 isn't correct. How did you get 0.45?

2. What's his initial momentum before hitting the net? What's his final momentum? Subtract.

4. Write out the impulse-momentum theorem and you'll see.
5. Again, write out the impulse-momentum theorem and you'll see.

delta y = vot + 0.5 a t^2

Vo = 0

delta y = 0.5 g t^2

t^2 = 2 delta y/g
= 2 * 1/(9.81)
= 0.20387 s
t = 0.45 s?

2. Initial momentum is 0 since vo=0. Final momentum, I can't use the value of the 1st question since it says not to.

4. I = Fav delta t
I don't know I, T..

5. How you get I?
Delta t = 0.02 s. How can I get I?

Ok, I did it again. I managed to get 2. Is it +238? Since, vi=0
And formula is mvf - mvi ?

Why don't you reply?
?

Related to Solving Physics Problems: Circus Performer Falling into a Safety Net

1. How is the velocity of the performer calculated when falling into the safety net?

The velocity of the performer can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the fall. This equation assumes that air resistance is negligible.

2. How does the elasticity of the safety net affect the performer's fall?

The elasticity of the safety net plays a crucial role in reducing the impact force on the performer. A more elastic net will stretch further and decrease the deceleration of the performer, resulting in a lower impact force. In contrast, a less elastic net will not stretch as much, leading to a higher impact force and potentially causing injury to the performer.

3. What other factors besides velocity and elasticity should be considered when solving this problem?

Other factors that should be considered include the weight of the performer, the height of the safety net, and the angle at which the performer falls. These factors can affect the velocity and acceleration of the performer and impact the overall outcome of the problem.

4. How can the safety of the performer be ensured when solving this problem?

To ensure the safety of the performer, it is essential to use the correct and updated equations and consider all the relevant factors. It is also crucial to conduct a thorough risk assessment and have appropriate safety measures in place, such as using a safety harness or having trained professionals supervise the performance.

5. What is the significance of this problem in the field of physics?

This problem is significant in the field of physics as it demonstrates the principles of kinematics, specifically the relationship between velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It also highlights the importance of considering real-world factors, such as air resistance and elasticity, when solving problems in physics.