Solving Plate Capacitor Problem with Voltage U

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving a plate capacitor with a voltage U applied. The goal is to find the electric field between the plates, which consists of two plates with a conducting plate of charge Q in between. The capacitance is found using the formula (epsilon)(area)/(distance) and can also be defined as the ratio of charge to potential. The relationship between electric field and potential is E=(potential)/(distance). It is mentioned that the charged conductor in between the plates will affect the electric field, causing different values above and below it.
galipop
Hi All,

I've been doing a few problems with plate capactors and I have this new one which introduces a voltage U. I haven't seen an example with a voltage befopre so I'm not sure where to start it. I'm hoping someone could start me off.

The problem goes like this: Find the electric field between the plates when a voltage U is applied to the cap. The cap consists of 2 plates (surface area F, distance d apart). Between the plates is a conducting plate of charge Q.

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
THe capacitance is found as (epsilon)(area)/(distance). Also capacitance is defined as the ratio of (charge)/(potential). Lastly the relationship with the electric field is E=(potential)/(distance).

I think (someone check me on this) The charged conductor in between the plates will add to the electric field of the capacitor,(in the manner of an infinite charged plane) so there will be a different value for the field above and below this conductor, since it will add on one side and subtract on the other.

What is a plate capacitor?

A plate capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance (C) of a plate capacitor is C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

How do you solve a plate capacitor problem with voltage U?

To solve a plate capacitor problem with voltage U, you will need to use the formula Q = CU, where Q is the charge stored on the capacitor and U is the voltage applied. You will also need to use the formula V = Ed, where V is the electric field strength, E is the voltage per unit distance, and d is the distance between the plates. By rearranging these equations and substituting in known values, you can solve for the unknown variables.

What are some common applications of plate capacitors?

Plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store and regulate electrical energy. They are also used in power transmission systems to improve power quality and reduce voltage fluctuations. Other applications include radio frequency filters, sensors, and memory devices.

What factors can affect the capacitance of a plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a plate capacitor can be affected by several factors, including the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, the type of dielectric material used, and the presence of any other conductive materials nearby that could affect the electric field.