Solving Polynomials on a TI-89 Calculator

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Motox7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, to divide polynomials on a calculator, enter the expression as (numerator)/(denominator) and use the propFrac() function. However, using synthetic division may be quicker and easier. The Algebra menu, located under the Math menu, has the propFrac() function. Be careful with the order of operations when entering the expression.
Motox7
okay, so i know how to factor( and the expand(

but i have a question for dividing polynomials such as...

9x^5-6x^3+x-63 / x-8

how do i enter this into my calculatoor?! AHH its driving me INSANEEEEEEEEEe

i get 9x^5-6x^3+x-63/x-8 but my teacher gets a different everytime for every problem similar to this...ahhh.

what do i dooooooo

Computer science news on Phys.org
Enter it into your calculator as (9x^5-6x^3+x-63)/(x-8), but you could always just do the division yourself instead of on your calculator.

Personally I think it is easier and quicker to synthetically divide then to waste my time plugging it into a calculator.

If you don't know what synthetic division is, you can read about it at the bottom of this page.

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/remaindr.htm

ranger: Use propFrac() located in the algebra menu.

The TI-89 is often difficult (awkward) to use. The problem here is that 8 is not a root of the polynomial. Ranger hit the nail on the head. As for the Algebra menu, it's sort of hidden under the Math menu being the ninth function.

Motox7 said:
okay, so i know how to factor( and the expand(

but i have a question for dividing polynomials such as...

9x^5-6x^3+x-63 / x-8

how do i enter this into my calculatoor?! AHH its driving me INSANEEEEEEEEEe

i get 9x^5-6x^3+x-63/x-8 but my teacher gets a different everytime for every problem similar to this...ahhh.

what do i dooooooo

The problem is with the order of operations:

9x^5-6x^3+x-63 / x-8

gets treated as:

9x^5-6x^3+x- (63/x) -8

Presumably you meant (9x^5-6x^3+x-63)/(x-8); as d_leet suggested, enter it exactly in this form.

Related to Solving Polynomials on a TI-89 Calculator

1. How do I enter a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator?

To enter a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator, press the "Apps" button, select the "Polynomial" app, and then press "Enter". Next, use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Create" option and press "Enter". From there, you can enter the coefficients of your polynomial and press "Enter" after each one. Finally, press "Enter" again to save your polynomial.

2. How do I solve a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator?

To solve a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator, press the "Apps" button, select the "Polynomial" app, and then press "Enter". Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Solve" option and press "Enter". Enter the polynomial you want to solve and press "Enter". The calculator will display the solutions for your polynomial.

3. Can I factor a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can factor a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator. Press the "Apps" button, select the "Polynomial" app, and then press "Enter". Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Factor" option and press "Enter". Enter the polynomial you want to factor and press "Enter". The calculator will display the factored form of your polynomial.

4. How do I graph a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator?

To graph a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator, press the "Apps" button, select the "Polynomial" app, and then press "Enter". Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Graph" option and press "Enter". Enter the polynomial you want to graph and press "Enter". The calculator will display a graph of your polynomial.

5. Can I find the roots of a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can find the roots of a polynomial on a TI-89 calculator. Press the "Apps" button, select the "Polynomial" app, and then press "Enter". Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Roots" option and press "Enter". Enter the polynomial you want to find the roots of and press "Enter". The calculator will display the roots of your polynomial.