Solving Spring Constant: A 760N Weight Puzzle

In summary, a person weighing 760 N steps onto a spring scale, compressing it by 0.82 cm. To find the spring constant, the equation FApplied = kx can be used. One student got the correct answer of 315.12195 N/m for part B, but had trouble with part A due to incorrect units. The correct answer for part A is 926.829 N/m.
GeoKenshin

Homework Statement

A person who weighs 760 N steps onto a spring scale in the bathroom, and the spring compresses by 0.82 cm.

a. What is the spring constant?

B. What is the weight of another person who compresses the spring by 0.34 cm?

Homework Equations

FApplied = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble with part A. I got the correct answer of 315.12195N for part B.

For part a i set it up as 760 = .82k and got 926.829 N/m but webassign will not accept it as correct. It has to be right because I got part B of the question correct with it.

I tried 927, 926.8 and 926.82926 N/m. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful with units.

ah...i see now. thanks!

Related to Solving Spring Constant: A 760N Weight Puzzle

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter 'k' and has units of newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How do you solve for the spring constant?

To solve for the spring constant, you need to know the weight of the object attached to the spring (in newtons) and the displacement of the spring (in meters). Then, you can use the equation k = F/x, where F is the weight and x is the displacement.

3. What is the significance of the 760N weight in this puzzle?

The 760N weight in this puzzle serves as the force (F) in the equation k = F/x. It is the weight that is pulling on the spring and causing it to stretch or compress.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and properties of the spring. For example, a stiffer spring will have a higher spring constant than a more flexible spring.

5. How can knowing the spring constant be useful?

Knowing the spring constant can be useful in various applications, such as designing and building structures that require springs, calculating the potential energy stored in a spring, and understanding the behavior of objects attached to springs.