Solving the Geneva Wheel Problem Homework

• Thread starter Rellek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a more efficient way to write \varphi in terms of \theta, and solving for the angular velocity with respect to \varphi. The solution involved using the quotient rule and the pythagorean theorem to simplify the equation. The final answer was ωphi = ωθ (√2 cosθ - 1)/(3 - 2√2 cosθ).
Rellek

Homework Statement

I'll attach the screenshot, it has everything.

Homework Equations

This is in the section of absolute motion analysis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually was able to solve the problem correctly, but it was annoyingly complicated and I'm curious as to whether there's a better way.

So, first off, I wanted to find a way to write [itex]\varphi[/itex] in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex].

So, recognize that tan[itex]\varphi[/itex] = Dsin[itex]\varphi[/itex]/Dcos[itex]\varphi[/itex]

The D*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex] is always going to be equal to 100sinθ.

For cos[itex]\varphi[/itex] it was a bit more tricky, but it's easy to recognize the relationship because the distance stays constant.

100√2 - 100cos(θ) = D*cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]

So now we have:

tan[itex]\varphi[/itex] = 100sinθ/(100√2 - 100cosθ)

And now I take the derivative. This is a quotient rule, and the derivative is going to be with respect to time, so through the chain rule we will have our angular velocities pulled out. Note that this derivative has been simplified from the raw form just a little.

sec2[itex]\varphi[/itex]*ωphi = ωθ (√2*cosθ - 1)/(√2 - cosθ)2

So now the next conundrum is how to get rid of the damn sec2[itex]\varphi[/itex]

Well, we recongnize that sec = Hypotenuse / Adjacent side,

And we've solved for the adjacent side already, it is equal to the cos[itex]\varphi[/itex] equation, which is:

100√2 - 100cosθ

But what is the hypotenuse? Well, by the pythagorean theorem:

H2 = (100sinθ)2 + (100√2 - 100cosθ)2

So, now we have our values, and since it is sec2[itex]\varphi[/itex], we will use:

H2 / B2

Which gives (after some more excessive simplifying):

ωphi(3 - 2√2 cosθ)/(√2 - cosθ)2 = ωθ (√2*cosθ - 1)/(√2 - cosθ)2

Now notice the denominators are the same, they cancel out. Then just divide to solve for the angular velocity with respect to [itex]\varphi[/itex]

You GET:

ωphi = ωθ (√2 cosθ - 1)/(3 - 2√2 cosθ)

And that IS the correct answer, it's just that it took a really long time and a ton of failed attempts before I finally solved it. I'm just wondering if there's a better way! Thanks!

Attachments

• physics question.png
    physics question.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 684
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks about as straight-forward as I could make it. I don't quite get your answer, but I've probably tripped on the trig and have't gone back to check.

You know your answer is correct, so well done! :smile:

What is the Geneva Wheel Problem?

The Geneva Wheel Problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves rotating a series of gears to create a specific pattern. It is named after the Swiss city of Geneva, where it was first studied in the 19th century.

Why is the Geneva Wheel Problem important?

The Geneva Wheel Problem is important because it helps develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also has practical applications in engineering and manufacturing, where precise gear movements are necessary.

What is the most common approach to solving the Geneva Wheel Problem?

The most common approach is to use a trial and error method, rotating the gears in different combinations until the desired pattern is achieved. Another approach is to use mathematical equations to calculate the correct gear ratios.

What are some challenges in solving the Geneva Wheel Problem?

Some challenges include determining the correct starting position, identifying the gear ratios needed, and finding a way to rotate the gears without disrupting the pattern. The problem can also become more complex when additional gears are added.

Are there any real-world applications of the Geneva Wheel Problem?

Yes, the Geneva Wheel mechanism is used in various devices such as mechanical watches, printing presses, and indexing tables. It allows for precise and controlled movements, making it useful in many industries.