Solving the Heat Equation: Investigating an Error

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the heat equation with boundary and initial conditions. The steady solution is found to be 0 and the general solution is derived as a sum of terms. The conversation then focuses on determining the sequence {B_n} and different methods for doing so are discussed. The method of separating the term B_1 and using the orthogonality conditions is used, but it leads to an undetermined B_1. Other methods, such as expanding T_0 sin(\pi x/L) in a Fourier sine series are suggested.
catcherintherye

Homework Statement

I am solving the heat equation [tex] 1/a^2\theta_t = \theta_x
[/tex]

boundary conditions are [tex] \theta(0,t) = \theta(L,t) = 0 t > 0 [/tex]

initial conditions are [tex] \theta(x,0) = T_0sin(x\pi/L) [/tex]

now I have derived the steady solution to be 0 and I have derived that the general solution will be of the form

[tex] \theta(x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\B_n sin\frac{n\pix}{L}exp\frac{-a^2n^\pi^2}{L}t [/tex]

I am next required to determine the sequence [tex] {B_n} \\

\mbox{now usually I would proceed in the following manner, using the initial conditions}\\
\theta(x,0) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty B_n sinn\pix/L = T_0sin(\frac{\pix}{L})[/tex]

I would then multiply both sides by [tex] \int_{0}^{L}sin\frac{mx\pi}{L} [/tex]

but instead i decided first to separted term [tex] B_1 [/tex] and cancel term sin(mx\pi/L)

so I proceeded using the cancellation by the orthogonality conditions and derived the following

[tex] B_mL/2 = (T_0 -B_1)\int_{0}^{L}sin\frac{mx\pi}{L}\\

= \frac{(B_1 -T_0)}{m\pix}\left[cosmx\pi/L\right]_{0}^{L}\\
= \frac{B_1-T_0}{m\pi}\left[(-1)^m -1] [/tex]

you see the problem is I end up with [tex] B_1 [/tex] undetermined
[tex] B_1 = \frac{-4T_0}{m\pi -4} [/tex]

where did I go wrong/ what should I have done differently??:frown:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do anything wrong except that you guarenteed you would not be able to determine B1 when you "decided first to separted term [itex]B_1[/itex] and cancel term sin(mx\pi/L)"!

There are many different ways to do this but I would probably expand [itex]T_0 sin(\pi x/L)[/itex] in a Fourier sine series in [itex]\pi x/L[/itex] and equate coefficients.

mmm...I am not familiar with this method, you see the reason I took out term B1 was because I knew it would allow me to proceed by multplying by

[tex] sin\frac{m\pix}{L} [/tex]and then integrating from 0 to L. Without taking out term B1 this would eventually lead me to do the following integral
[tex] L/2B_m = T_0\int_{0}^{L} sin(\frac{m\pix}{L})sin(\frac{pix}{L})dx [/tex]

is this also a valid method of solution and if so How do I do the integral? Do I have to use some sort of trig identity

Last edited:

Related to Solving the Heat Equation: Investigating an Error

1. What is the heat equation and why is it important in science?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a given system. It is important for understanding and predicting heat transfer in various physical and chemical processes, such as diffusion, conduction, and convection.

2. What is the most common error encountered when solving the heat equation?

The most common error when solving the heat equation is numerical instability. This occurs when the solution algorithm is not able to accurately handle small changes in the initial conditions or boundary conditions, leading to significant errors in the final solution.

3. How can numerical instability be detected and resolved when solving the heat equation?

Numerical instability can be detected by monitoring the solution for large fluctuations or oscillations. To resolve it, techniques such as adaptive time-stepping, using higher-order numerical methods, or implementing stabilization methods can be employed.

4. What factors can influence the accuracy of the solution when solving the heat equation?

The accuracy of the solution can be influenced by various factors, such as the choice of numerical method, the grid size, the time step, and the boundary conditions. Physical properties, such as thermal conductivity and heat source/sink, can also affect the accuracy of the solution.

5. In what real-world applications is solving the heat equation important?

Solving the heat equation has numerous applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to study heat transfer in materials, design and optimize heat exchangers, analyze heat flow in electronic devices, and understand thermal processes in the human body, among others.