Solving the limit of a function with no calculator

In summary: This can then be simplified to 2x^(-3), which can be brought out of the radical as x^(-1/2). This simplifies to 2/sqrt(x), which approaches 0 as x approaches infinity.In summary, by factoring out x^4 from both terms inside the radical and simplifying, the limit of the function sqrt(5x^4+2x)/x^2 as x approaches infinity is 0. This method can be used to evaluate the limit of similar functions.
APcalchelp
The Limx-->infinity of the function Square rt(5x^4+2x) / (x^2)

Note* The square root is only in the numerator for the expression (5x^4+2x)

I have tried multiplying by the complex conjugate but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it.

I did sqrt(5x^4-2x) over itself and got sqrt 25x^8-4x / x^2

I had that as my answer, but my teacher told me this was incorrect. If anyone could help and explain that would be great! Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
APcalchelp said:
The Limx-->infinity of the function Square rt(5x^4+2x) / (x^2)

Note* The square root is only in the numerator for the expression (5x^4+2x)

I have tried multiplying by the complex conjugate but I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it.

I did sqrt(5x^4-2x) over itself and got sqrt 25x^8-4x / x^2

I had that as my answer, but my teacher told me this was incorrect. If anyone could help and explain that would be great! Thanks a lot!

Factor x4 out of both terms inside the radical, and bring this out as x2. You should be able to evaluate the limit then.

Mark44 said:
Factor x4 out of both terms inside the radical, and bring this out as x2. You should be able to evaluate the limit then.

I'm not clear on what you mean by that. I understand factoring out the x^4 from the 5x^4 but not the 2x.

APcalchelp said:
I'm not clear on what you mean by that. I understand factoring out the x^4 from the 5x^4 but not the 2x.

If you factor out x^4 from 2x, you are left with 2/x^3.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a particular value. It represents the value that the function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to the specified value.

2. When is it necessary to solve a limit without a calculator?

It is necessary to solve a limit without a calculator when the function is too complex to be evaluated using a calculator, or when the limit involves an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

3. What are the steps to solving a limit without a calculator?

The general steps to solving a limit without a calculator are as follows:1. Simplify the expression as much as possible2. Identify any indeterminate forms3. Apply algebraic manipulation or substitution to remove the indeterminate form4. Evaluate the limit using the simplified expression

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can use a graphing calculator or an online graphing tool to plot the function and see if the limit value matches the graph. Another way is to plug in values close to the limit into the function and see if the resulting values approach the limit value.

5. Can I use L'Hopital's rule to solve a limit without a calculator?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to solve a limit without a calculator. However, it should only be used as a last resort when all other methods fail, as it involves taking derivatives and can be time-consuming.