Solving the Physics Problem: Density of Hot Air

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind hot air balloons and how they float due to the difference in density between hot and cold air. The problem is to determine the density of hot air inside the balloon, which is assumed to be uniform throughout. One approach is to use the ideal gas law, which leads to the formula rho_h=rho_c*(T_h/T_c). However, there is uncertainty about this answer because the number of moles (n) is unknown. A hint is given to rearrange the ideal gas law and solve for n using the fact that the pressure is the same inside and outside the balloon.
chessmath
Hi
Here is the physics problem that I could not figure out:
Hot air balloons float in the air because of the difference in density between cold and hot air. Consider a balloon in which the mass of the pilot basket together with the mass of the balloon fabric and other equipment is m_b. The volume of the hot air inside the balloon is V_1 and the volume of the basket, fabric, and other equipment is V_2. The absolute temperature of the cold air outside the balloon is T_c and its density is rho_c. The absolute temperature of the hot air at the bottom of the balloon is T_h (where T_h > T_ c}). The balloon is open at the bottom, so that the pressure inside and outside the balloon is the same here. Assume that we can treat air as an ideal gas. Use g for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the density rho_h(density of hot air) of hot air inside the balloon? Assume that this density is uniform throughout the balloon.
Express the density in terms of T_h, T_c, and rho_c(density of cold air)?

well I first said that because P is constant therefore because pv=nRT rho_h=rho_c*(T_h/T_c)

But I have doubt about this answer because we don't know n(number of moles)
So anybody can help me?
Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org

chessmath said:
well I first said that because P is constant therefore because pv=nRT, rho_h=rho_c*(T_h/T_c)
According to your formula, because Th>Tc, the density of hot air greater than the density of cold air.
But I have doubt about this answer because we don't know n(number of moles)
So anybody can help me?
Thanks..
Hint: You can rearrange the ideal gas law to get[tex]\frac{n}{V} = \frac{P}{RT}[/tex]

Related to Solving the Physics Problem: Density of Hot Air

1. What is the definition of density?

Density is defined as the mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically measured in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) in the SI system.

2. How does temperature affect the density of air?

In general, as temperature increases, the density of air decreases. This is because the air molecules move faster and spread out, resulting in a decrease in the number of molecules per unit volume.

3. How do you calculate the density of hot air?

The density of hot air can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the density is equal to the pressure divided by the product of the temperature and the gas constant. Alternatively, the density can also be calculated using the specific volume and the mass of the air.

4. What is the relationship between density and buoyancy?

Density plays a crucial role in determining the buoyancy of an object in a fluid. If the density of an object is less than the density of the fluid, it will float. If the density of an object is greater than the density of the fluid, it will sink.

5. How does the density of hot air affect weather patterns?

The density of hot air can influence weather patterns by affecting air pressure and air currents. As hot air rises, it creates low pressure areas that can lead to the formation of storms. Additionally, differences in air density can also cause wind patterns and affect the movement of weather systems.