Solving Thermodynamics Problem with Hydrochloric Acid and Sodium Bicarbonate

In summary, the conversation discussed the frustrations of not being able to successfully complete lab B, which involved mixing hydrochloric acid and sodium bicarbonate in a homemade calorimeter. The final heat of the reaction was 18.7 degrees, with the hydrochloric acid starting at 21.5 degrees. The individual calculated heat values were also mentioned, with a request for assistance in finding any errors. The conversation then shifted to finding the theoretical heat of the reaction, with a proposed equation and heats of formation for the various components. The speaker was seeking help in determining where they went wrong in their calculations.
KingNothing
Alright, so we did three labs, and for some reason I just cannot get lab B. It's so dang frustrating, too. What we did was mix 50 mL of 1.00 molar hydrochloric acid with 2.00 grams of sodium bicarbonate.

We made our own calorimeter, they are styrofoam cups, and their specific heat is 16.7. Anyway, our 'heat evolved' (final heat) was 18.7 degrees, and the HCl started at 21.5 degrees. I think I calculated the lab heat alright:

specific heat of water/HCL * mass of hcl (grams) * change in temp + 16.7(some heat of the cup) * change in temp

4.18 * 0.05 * -2,8 + 16.7 * -2.8
To get -47.3452...

Please tell me if there is an error there.

Anyhoo...now to get the theoretical heat, I am just...i dunno...missing something huge. Black means solid, red means liquid, green means gas, blue means aqueos.

HCl + NaHC0_3 -> NaCl + CO_2 + H_2O

Then (and I think I might be doing something wrng here too) I split them up so I can look at their heats of formation:

H + Cl + Na + HCO_3 -> Na + Cl + C0_2 + H_2O
Now, I figured since both chlorines are aqueous, they cancel out, and hydrogen, CO_2 and H_2O all have 0 heat of formation.

So I figured HC0_3 is -691.1 (from a table), Na is -239.7 (from a table), and my theoretical heat is 451.4 KJ/mol.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with this? I need it for tomorrow!

It looks like you have made a few errors in your calculations. First, in your calculation for the lab heat, you have used the mass of HCl in grams instead of moles. The correct calculation should be 4.18 * 0.05 * -2.8 + 16.7 * -2.8 = -1.176 kJ.

Next, in your theoretical heat calculation, you have used the heat of formation for HCO3 instead of NaHCO3. The correct value for NaHCO3 is -950.9 kJ/mol. Additionally, you have not taken into account the stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced equation. The correct calculation should be (2*-691.1) + (-239.7) - (2*950.9) = -982.6 kJ/mol.

It is also important to note that the heat of formation values are for standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm), so they may not be accurate for your experimental conditions. It is always best to double check your calculations and use accurate values for your specific experimental conditions.

I would also recommend going back and reviewing the principles of thermochemistry and stoichiometry to ensure a better understanding of the concepts and calculations involved in solving thermodynamics problems. Practice makes perfect, so keep working at it and don't get discouraged!

1. How do I balance the chemical equation for the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium bicarbonate?

To balance the chemical equation for the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium bicarbonate, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. In this case, the balanced equation is HCl + NaHCO3 → NaCl + H2O + CO2.

2. What are the products of the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium bicarbonate?

The products of the reaction between hydrochloric acid and sodium bicarbonate are sodium chloride (NaCl), water (H2O), and carbon dioxide (CO2).

3. How do I calculate the molarity of a hydrochloric acid solution?

To calculate the molarity of a hydrochloric acid solution, you need to know the volume and concentration of the solution. Molarity is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of solution in liters. The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / volume of solution (in L).

4. What is the purpose of using hydrochloric acid in this thermodynamics problem?

Hydrochloric acid is used in this thermodynamics problem as a strong acid that can react with sodium bicarbonate to produce carbon dioxide gas. The release of carbon dioxide gas is used to measure the change in enthalpy of the reaction, which is a key factor in solving thermodynamics problems.

5. How does the addition of sodium bicarbonate affect the pH of a hydrochloric acid solution?

The addition of sodium bicarbonate to a hydrochloric acid solution will cause the pH to increase. This is because sodium bicarbonate is a base and will react with the acidic hydrogen ions (H+) in the hydrochloric acid, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of H+ ions and an increase in the pH of the solution.