Solving Thin Film Problem: Find Longest Wavelength Transmitted to Diver

In summary, the problem involves a scientist observing an oil slick on water with a spectrometer and measuring a wavelength of 750 nm (in air). The oil has a thickness of 200 nm and an index of refraction of 1.5. The question is asking for the longest wavelength of light that is transmitted most easily to a diver swimming underneath the oil slick. This can be found using the equation λ=2t n(layer), with the refractive index of the oil layer being 1.5. The problem asks for the wavelength in water, so the wavelength in vacuum must be converted to the wavelength in water using the relationship between wavelength and refractive index.
idkgirl

Homework Statement

A scientist notices that an oil slick floating on water when viewed from above has many different rainbow colors reflecting off the surface. She aims a spectrometer at a particular spot and measures the wavelength to be 750 {\rm nm} (in air). The index of refraction of water is 1.33

Now assume that the oil had a thickness of 200 \rm nm and an index of refraction of 1.5. A diver swimming underneath the oil slick is looking at the same spot as the scientist with the spectromenter. What is the longest wavelength lambda_water of the light in water that is transmitted most easily to the diver?

Homework Equations

2t = (m+1/2)(λ/n) or 2t = m(λ/n) and of course, these depends on whether you want constructive or destructive. I think I want destructive because essentially, I want to know what wavelength I would see reflected. I think I have one phase change, so I would need the second equation more... I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

the only math I have done is this: 2*200 nm * 1.33

I use m = 1 since that should give you the largest wavelength (I hope). ...It's not getting me the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
idkgirl said:

Homework Statement

A scientist notices that an oil slick floating on water when viewed from above has many different rainbow colors reflecting off the surface. She aims a spectrometer at a particular spot and measures the wavelength to be 750 {\rm nm} (in air). The index of refraction of water is 1.33

Now assume that the oil had a thickness of 200 \rm nm and an index of refraction of 1.5. A diver swimming underneath the oil slick is looking at the same spot as the scientist with the spectrometer. What is the longest wavelength lambda_water of the light in water that is transmitted most easily to the diver?

Homework Equations

2t = (m+1/2)(λ/n) or 2t = m(λ/n) and of course, these depends on whether you want constructive or destructive. I think I want destructive because essentially, I want to know what wavelength I would see reflected. I think I have one phase change, so I would need the second equation more... I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

the only math I have done is this: 2*200 nm * 1.33

I use m = 1 since that should give you the largest wavelength (I hope). ...It's not getting me the right answer.

You are right, the wavelength of the light which is not reflected, so transmits easiest into the water, is λ=2t n(layer). That is the wavelength in vacuum. The refractive index of the oil layer is n(layer)=1.5.

The problem asks the wavelength in water. How does the wavelength depend on the refractive index of the medium where the light travels?

ehild

1. What is a thin film problem?

A thin film problem is a type of optical phenomenon that occurs when a beam of light passes through a thin film of material, such as a soap bubble or a layer of oil on water. The film causes interference and can result in changes to the color or intensity of the transmitted light.

2. How is the longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem determined?

The longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem is determined by using the equation for constructive interference, which is given by 2nt = mλ, where n is the refractive index of the film, t is the thickness of the film, m is the order of the interference, and λ is the wavelength of the incident light. By solving for λ, the longest wavelength transmitted can be found.

3. What is the purpose of finding the longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem?

The purpose of finding the longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem is to understand the behavior of light as it passes through the film and to determine the color or intensity of the transmitted light. This information can be useful in various applications, such as in the design of optical devices or in the study of light and its interactions with matter.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the longest wavelength transmitted in a thin film problem. These include the angle of incidence of the light, the refractive index of the surrounding medium, and the properties of the film itself, such as its thickness and composition.

5. How can the results of solving a thin film problem be applied in real-world situations?

The results of solving a thin film problem can be applied in real-world situations in various ways. For example, they can be used in the design of anti-reflective coatings for eyeglasses or camera lenses, in the development of color-changing materials, or in quality control measures for thin film coatings in industries such as electronics and optics.