Solving this second order linear differential equation

In summary: Oops, I forgot to attach my working. Here it is:From line [3] to line [4] I'm not sure if i can take the ln [] of the bottom, given that there's both x and t, which works only if the reverse process is a partial derivative,...
unscientific

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to the differential equation y'' -16y = 0, where y is a function of x. Give initial conditions that would give a unique solution to the eqution.
For the differential equation y'' - k2y = R(x), with k ≠ 0 a real constant, show that it has a particular solution:

y1 = (1/k)∫R sinh[k(-t)] dt

2wm40uw.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No problems with part (a) and finding homogeneous solution.

I tried to avoid expanding the integral using integration by parts by differentiating both LHS and RHS w.r.t. x. But I'm missing a dR/dx term...

j97ptj.png

Is there anything wrong with my integration for part (c) below?

2427u6g.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivative of [itex]y_1[/itex] is incorrect. Your integrand is a function of x (and t), and your limits of integration are functions of x. See the "differentiation under the integral sign" formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign

For example, I find that [tex] \frac{dy_1}{dx}=\int_0^x R(t)\cosh(k(x-t))dt.[/tex]

christoff said:
Your derivative of [itex]y_1[/itex] is incorrect. Your integrand is a function of x (and t), and your limits of integration are functions of x. See the "differentiation under the integral sign" formula: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_under_the_integral_sign

For example, I find that [tex] \frac{dy_1}{dx}=\int_0^x R(t)\cosh(k(x-t))dt.[/tex]

don't you have to differentiate R too? since R is essentially a function of x just disguised by changing all the 'x' in the function to 't'

And, when i differentiate twice, it gives back the same integrand, and when subbed into LHS, it gives 0, instead of R.

unscientific said:
don't you have to differentiate R too? since R is essentially a function of x just disguised by changing all the 'x' in the function to 't'

And, when i differentiate twice, it gives back the same integrand, and when subbed into LHS, it gives 0, instead of R.

No, you don't differentiate R, it's not a function of x. Show how you differentiated twice. You are missing a part.

Dick said:
No, you don't differentiate R, it's not a function of x. Show how you differentiated twice. You are missing a part.

Differentiate once, times k and change sinh into cosh.

Differentiate second time, times k and change cosh into sinh.

resulting expression is k * oringinal..

unscientific said:
Differentiate once, times k and change sinh into cosh.

Differentiate second time, times k and change cosh into sinh.

resulting expression is k * oringinal..

You not only have to differentiate with respect to the x in the integrand, you also have to deal with the x in the limits of integration. That's where the R(x) is going to come from. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule The part you are missing is also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You not only have to differentiate with respect to the x in the integrand, you also have to deal with the x in the limits of integration. That's where the R(x) is going to come from. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule The part you are missing is also known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Thanks! I've worked out the answer! Strange enough, this isn't even in our syllabus or wasn't even taught in lectures. Didn't come across it in Riley Hobson and Bence as well..

Dick said:

Is my integration at the last part correct?

unscientific said:
Is my integration at the last part correct?

I rather doubt it. Where's the sinh(3(x-t)) part?

Dick said:
I rather doubt it. Where's the sinh(3(x-t)) part?

I've corrected my working, not sure if it's right. Especially from line [3] to line [4]. I'm not sure if i can take the ln [] of the bottom, given that there's both x and t, which works only if the reverse process is a partial derivative, ∂/∂t.

unscientific said:
I've corrected my working, not sure if it's right. Especially from line [3] to line [4]. I'm not sure if i can take the ln [] of the bottom, given that there's both x and t, which works only if the reverse process is a partial derivative, ∂/∂t.

I still don't the see the integral you actually want to do. You want to integrate
$$\int_0^x (\frac{1}{\cosh(3t)}+e^{3t})(\cosh(3(x-t)) dt$$
Don't you?

Dick said:
I still don't the see the integral you actually want to do. You want to integrate
$$\int_0^x (\frac{1}{\cosh(3t)}+e^{3t})(\cosh(3(x-t)) dt$$
Don't you?

Oops, I forgot to attach my working. Here it is:

From line [3] to line [4] I'm not sure if i can take the ln [] of the bottom, given that there's both x and t, which works only if the reverse process is a partial derivative, ∂/∂t.

53sfgx.png

No, you can't just take log of the bottom. I think the better way to approach this is to express everything in terms of sinh and cosh. e^3t=(cosh(3t)-sinh(3t))/2. And use a sum rule on sinh(3x-3t) to express it in terms of a function of x times a function of t. sinh(a-b)=sinh(a)cosh(b)-cosh(a)sinh(b).

Last edited:

1. What is a second order linear differential equation?

A second order linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as the function itself. It is called "linear" because the function and its derivatives appear in a linear form, meaning they are only multiplied by constants and added together.

2. Why do we need to solve second order linear differential equations?

Second order linear differential equations are used to model many physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, electrical circuits, and growth and decay processes. Solving these equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

3. How do we solve a second order linear differential equation?

To solve a second order linear differential equation, we use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

4. What are initial conditions and why are they important in solving second order linear differential equations?

Initial conditions are values of the function and its derivatives at a given point in the domain of the equation. They are important because they provide the starting point for the solution and help determine the specific solution to the equation.

5. Can second order linear differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, second order linear differential equations can have multiple solutions depending on the initial conditions given. However, these solutions can also be expressed as linear combinations of each other, so there is not an infinite number of distinct solutions.