Solving Transfer of Torque with \mu = 0.38 Ns/m^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
KillerZ
Messages
116
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The clutch system shown in Fig. P10-22 is used to transmit torque through a 3-mm-thick oil film with [tex]\mu = 0.38 N \bullet s/m^{2}[/tex] between two identical 30-cm-diameter disks. When the driving shaft rotates at a speed of 1450 rpm, the driven shaft is observed to rotate at 1398 rpm. Assuming a linear velocity profile for the oil film, determine the transmitted torque.

s4c45c.jpg


Homework Equations



[tex]T = \mu\left(\frac{4\pi^{2}R^{3}\dot{n}L}{l}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\mu = 0.38 N \bullet s/m^{2}[/tex]
[tex]L = 30cm = 0.3m[/tex]
[tex]l = 3mm = 0.003m[/tex]

This is where I am stuck I am not sure what R is. I think I have to find T for the two rpms and find the difference between them for the transferred torque.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The units should tell you what R is. You have to get N-m out of this equation, so based on what you know (the given values) you can figure out what unit R will have and that will tell you what it's value should be.

Thanks
Matt