1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Electrostatics Help?

Tags:
  1. Mar 18, 2015 #1

(?)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The total electric flux from a cubical box 34.0 cm on a side is 1.29 x 103 N·m2/C. What charge is enclosed by the box?

----and----

Three charged particles are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side d = 1.00 m (Fig. 16-53). The charges are Q1 = +4.0 µC, Q2 = -6.0µC, and Q3 = -6.0 µC. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force on each due to the other two.
    16-53alt.gif
    Figure 16-53
    Force on Q1: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)
    Force on Q2: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)
    Force on Q3: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)
    2. Relevant equations
    Gauss' Law (I think)(I don't know how to type those symbols out sooo)

----and----

I'm not really sure on this one. I've tried setting it up F=(k)(d^2/|Q(#)Q(#)) to find the magnitude but that isn't working (or at least my numbers are weird for it)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to multiply (1.29 multiply.gif 103 N·m2/C)(8.85e-12) but that didn't work? Do I (and if it is needed) how do I incorporate the 34cm?

----and----

See above

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

One question per post please.

Can you show some actual calculation results? "that didn't work" or "that isn't working" doesn't tell us much.

You can find most of the symbols you need by selecting the Sigma icon from the editing menu bar:
    Fig1.gif

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted