Calculating Electric Flux and Net Force on Charged Particles | Homework Help

In summary, the electric flux from a cubical box with side length 34.0 cm is 1.29 x 10^3 N·m^2/C. The charge enclosed by the box is unknown. In the second conversation, three charged particles (Q1 = +4.0 µC, Q2 = -6.0 µC, and Q3 = -6.0 µC) are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side length 1.00 m. The magnitude and direction of the net force on each particle due to the other two is to be calculated. The equation used for this calculation is F=(k)(d^2/|Q(#)Q(#)) but the actual
(?)

Homework Statement

The total electric flux from a cubical box 34.0 cm on a side is 1.29 x 103 N·m2/C. What charge is enclosed by the box?

----and----

Three charged particles are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side d = 1.00 m (Fig. 16-53). The charges are Q1 = +4.0 µC, Q2 = -6.0µC, and Q3 = -6.0 µC. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force on each due to the other two.
16-53alt.gif

Figure 16-53
Force on Q1: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)
Force on Q2: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)
Force on Q3: N at ° counterclockwise from +x axis (to the right)

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law (I think)(I don't know how to type those symbols out sooo)

----and----

I'm not really sure on this one. I've tried setting it up F=(k)(d^2/|Q(#)Q(#)) to find the magnitude but that isn't working (or at least my numbers are weird for it)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to multiply (1.29
multiply.gif
103 N·m2/C)(8.85e-12) but that didn't work? Do I (and if it is needed) how do I incorporate the 34cm?

----and----

See above

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One question per post please.

Can you show some actual calculation results? "that didn't work" or "that isn't working" doesn't tell us much.

You can find most of the symbols you need by selecting the Sigma icon from the editing menu bar:
Fig1.gif

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest, or stationary charges. It involves the understanding of electric fields, electric potential, and how charged particles interact with each other.

What are some real-life applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including air purifiers, electrostatic precipitators (used in power plants to remove pollutants from smoke), inkjet printers, and photocopiers. It is also used in the production of semiconductors and in electrostatic coating processes.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow. In conductors, the outermost electrons of the atoms are loosely bound and can move easily, while in insulators, the electrons are tightly bound to the atoms and cannot move as freely.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where other charged particles will experience a force. The strength and direction of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and sign of the charge creating the field.

How does the distance between two charged objects affect the strength of the electric force between them?

The strength of the electric force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force between them decreases. This relationship is known as Coulomb's Law.