Some Explanation about Momement of Inertia

In summary, moment of inertia refers to how difficult it is to spin an object based on its mass and distribution of that mass. It can be seen in daily life with examples such as a merry-go-around or a swinging door. Calculating moment of inertia involves considering the kinetic energy and there are references available for further understanding. The concept can also be seen in phenomena such as a gyroscope.
firoz.raj
Can anybody give Some Explanation about Momemet of inertia.Kindly let me know the idea
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's how hard something is to spin.

It takes some force to make a merry-go-around...go around. It's because it has a sizeable moment of inertia. If you put some kids in it, it gets even harder to spin, because it has a greater moment of inertia. If all the kids go to the very edge of the merry-go-around, it gets EVEN harder to spinn.

So basically, how heavy something is and where this mass is located has an effect on moment of inertia.

The explanations go way deeper, but that's the simplest way to visualize it, imo...

Can you tell me the example of Moment of inertia in daily life .Describing Moment of Inertia.
Sorry don't mind .this is really silly question.But i will ask.

A merry go around is not good enough?

Ok...a door then. A heavier door is harder to swing open than a lighter door, because it has a greater moment of inertia. If you get someone to hang at the end of the door, the moment of inertia is even greater.

Or, try traking a heavy book or weight with each hand. Hold them close to your body, and try spinning around. Now spread your arms out (while still holding the weights) and try spinning. You'll notice it's harder to get yourself spinning with your arms spread out. While still spinning with your arms spread out, try bringing them in close to your body...you'll notice that your body will automatically try to spin faster. It's because it has the same energy (due to the spinning), but you're decreasing its moment of inertia by bringing your arms in. Same energy+lower moment of inertia=faster spinning.

Moment of inertia is the same thing as regular inertia (the heavier something is, the harder it is to get moving), except the motion applies to a spinning motion around an axis.

Last edited:
Can you tell me .How will i calculate the Moment of Inertia.Kindly let m know the idea.
Additional Moment of Inertia also involve the Kinetic Energy .E=1/2mv.
Kindly let me know the idea.Any help would be highly appreciated.

friz: You might also find this interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

I've known about it for longer than I would care to admit and still find it fascinating. At first it seems to defy logic but is just one of many phenomena that physics can explain.

Thank You

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property of an object that depends on its mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass is calculated by multiplying its mass by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For extended objects, the moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or surface.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, including rotational motion, stability of objects, and conservation of angular momentum. It also has practical applications in engineering and design, such as in the construction of rotating machinery.

4. How does the moment of inertia change with the shape of an object?

The moment of inertia is directly proportional to the object's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. Therefore, changing the shape of an object can significantly affect its moment of inertia. For example, a solid cylinder has a different moment of inertia than a hollow cylinder with the same mass and dimensions.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change if the object's mass distribution or axis of rotation changes. For example, if a rotating object's mass is redistributed, its moment of inertia will also change. Additionally, changing the axis of rotation will also affect the moment of inertia of an object.