What are some common calculus problems and how can I solve them?

• Thread starter cummings15
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking for help with a calculus problem and provides a link to a PDF with the problem and instructions.
cummings15
I need some help with some calculus problems
confused on what to do
I have attached paper with problems so it is easier to read they are in .pdf format. There are 10 problems

http://www.box.net/shared/7y86lhmmp8"

http://www.box.net/shared/99a6761kyk"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are new to this forum, it's understandable that you might not have seen the rules, which can be seen by clicking the Rules button near the top of the page. Take a look at the Homework Help section, which states that you need to make an effort at working the problem before anyone will give any help.

Also, it's better to post one problem, together with the work you have done.

Can someone help?

Find the volume of a region bounded above by the unit sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and below by the cone z=sqrt(x^2+y^2). I am really confuse here.. ><

What have you tried? Also, it is considered bad manners to "highjack" an existing thread to add your own problem. You should start a new thread and fill in the three parts in the template, including what you have tried.

o.. sry >< new to this forum

Try to make an effort to solve the problem by yourself, even if it's just a thought or two on how you might approach the problem. Then convey your thought to the forum along with the problem and we'll be more than happy to help you.

i don't know where to start.

i have missed a few classes and I need an example problem to start with so I can understand how to do it.

@Chris...
Since I'm feeling generous, these are the skills you need. Google if necessary. Lather rinse repeat:
1) Integration by parts
2) L'hopital's rule
3) partial fractions decomposition
4) u-substitution
5) trig sub

6) u-sub (not 100% sure...)
7)...
8) by parts. The wikipedia article isn't totally useless, btw. They show the "LIATE" rule.
9)...
10) haha. That's what I've been doing all along!

Looking at the first problem on the sheet would indicate that they covered the various techniques of integration in class, such as substitutions, integration by parts, etc. If you missed these in class you might seek some tutotial help,. As far as the first problem goes, I would suggest one of these methods (such as integration by parts) might be an approach to solving the first problem. Do you have any idea how you would approach this ?

heres a hint...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

Skins said:
Looking at the first problem on the sheet would indicate that they covered the various techniques of integration in class, such as substitutions, integration by parts, etc. If you missed these in class you might seek some tutotial help,. As far as the first problem goes, I would suggest one of these methods (such as integration by parts) might be an approach to solving the first problem. Do you have any idea how you would approach this ?

heres a hint...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

? Pretty sure this was covered in a previous post...

The Chaz said:
? Pretty sure this was covered in a previous post...

If so then it never hurts to cover it again. touche.

What are the basic principles of calculus?

The basic principles of calculus are differentiation and integration. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, while integration involves finding the area under a curve.

What is the difference between limits and derivatives?

Limits and derivatives are closely related, but they have different definitions. A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. A derivative, on the other hand, is the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

How can I solve a derivative problem?

To solve a derivative problem, you will need to use the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. First, identify the function and the variable that you need to differentiate. Then, apply the appropriate rule to find the derivative.

What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, design structures, and optimize production processes, among other things.

How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group. Additionally, try to connect the concepts to real-life applications to better understand their relevance.