1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some help with calc problems

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    I need some help with some calculus problems
    confused on what to do
    I have attached paper with problems so it is easier to read they are in .pdf format. There are 10 problems

http://www.box.net/shared/7y86lhmmp8" [Broken]

http://www.box.net/shared/99a6761kyk" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since you are new to this forum, it's understandable that you might not have seen the rules, which can be seen by clicking the Rules button near the top of the page. Take a look at the Homework Help section, which states that you need to make an effort at working the problem before anyone will give any help.

Also, it's better to post one problem, together with the work you have done.

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    Can someone help?

Find the volume of a region bounded above by the unit sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and below by the cone z=sqrt(x^2+y^2). I am really confuse here.. ><

5. May 5, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried? Also, it is considered bad manners to "highjack" an existing thread to add your own problem. You should start a new thread and fill in the three parts in the template, including what you have tried.

6. May 5, 2010 #5
    o.. sry >< new to this forum

7. May 5, 2010 #6
    Try to make an effort to solve the problem by yourself, even if it's just a thought or two on how you might approach the problem. Then convey your thought to the forum along with the problem and we'll be more than happy to help you.

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    i don't know where to start.

i have missed a few classes and I need an example problem to start with so I can understand how to do it.

9. May 5, 2010 #8
    @Chris...
    Since I'm feeling generous, these are the skills you need. Google if necessary. Lather rinse repeat:
    1) Integration by parts
    2) L'hopital's rule
    3) partial fractions decomposition
    4) u-substitution
    5) trig sub

6) u-sub (not 100% sure...)
    7)...
    8) by parts. The wikipedia article isn't totally useless, btw. They show the "LIATE" rule.
    9)...
    10) haha. That's what I've been doing all along!

10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Looking at the first problem on the sheet would indicate that they covered the various techniques of integration in class, such as substitutions, integration by parts, etc. If you missed these in class you might seek some tutotial help,. As far as the first problem goes, I would suggest one of these methods (such as integration by parts) might be an approach to solving the first problem. Do you have any idea how you would approach this ?

heres a hint...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

11. May 5, 2010 #10
    ??? Pretty sure this was covered in a previous post...

12. May 6, 2010 #11
    If so then it never hurts to cover it again. touche.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook