Some help with college project about air battery?

In summary, the student is working on a project about air battery which uses solar cell to generate power. They are not sure about some processes involved and are looking for help. The student also has questions about how to calculate expansion and if it matters if the pressure in the second tank doesn't matter. Lastly, the student is wondering if watching a manometer is enough to show that the air battery is working.
stranger023
Hello everyone! I'm working on my practical project in college and it's roughly about ''air battery'' (CAES) which is filled with help of solar cell (eventually I need to build small version of it).
My mentor explained it to me roughly as well and I would love some help as I'm not very good at thermodynamics.

First thing that I'm not sure about is processes in model.
They basically go like this:

Compression of air
Cooling compressed air
Heating an air (later when we want to use it)
Letting some of the air go to maintain same pressure in tank
Expanding an air into turbine

Does all that make sense?

Let me know if you need me to go more in detail.. eventually I will, but this is just to check if my foundation is good or I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in terms of storing energy, why don't you just skip the cooling/heating and just used the compressed air itself as the source or energy. That is, fill a tank with compressed air and release it later on into a turbine to generate power.

Drakkith said:
Well, in terms of storing energy, why don't you just skip the cooling/heating and just used the compressed air itself as the source or energy. That is, fill a tank with compressed air and release it later on into a turbine to generate power.

That's what I asked my mentor as well. He told me that we're cooling air because it would be two(or more)-stage compression. ..also, because it's storing energy (we're going to use it later) temperature would drop to room T anyway.
Reason for heating it later would be to avoid temperature dropping below critical point (don't know what's critical point yet) during expansion itself.

Does it still sound pointless or?

I guess for a school project it's fine. At first glance it looks like a sound project to me. I'd recommend posting the specifics of what you need help with. I don't think I will be able to personally help you, but I'm sure someone around here can.

Drakkith said:
I guess for a school project it's fine. At first glance it looks like a sound project to me. I'd recommend posting the specifics of what you need help with. I don't think I will be able to personally help you, but I'm sure someone around here can.

That's cool, thank you anyway!

Well, if processes above makes sense, another thing that bugs me is how to calculate expansion from one to another tank.
Basically, I would use two transformed extinguisher tanks. One would be main (used for storing compressed air), and the second one would be on side and used just for regulating pressure in first one during the air heating. Expansion into turbine is done from main tank only.

So, I'm not sure how to calculate expansion (or how parametres would change by it) when there is two fixed volumes of tanks.

Also, would that count as free expansion if air and presssure in second tank doesn't matter?

And last but not least-does this calculation even matters if I'm just wacthing manometre and realising air with valve into another tank and nothing is changed in main tank except temperature.

1. What is an air battery?

An air battery is a type of battery that uses oxygen from the air as one of its reactants, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional batteries that use toxic materials.

2. How does an air battery work?

An air battery works by using a cathode and anode made of different materials, usually zinc and carbon, with a layer of electrolyte in between. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the zinc undergoes oxidation, releasing electrons which flow through the circuit, and the oxygen from the air reacts with the zinc ions in the electrolyte, completing the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using an air battery?

Some advantages of using an air battery include its low cost, non-toxic nature, and high energy density. It also has a longer shelf life compared to traditional batteries, making it a more sustainable option.

4. Can an air battery be recharged?

Currently, most air batteries are not rechargeable. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to create rechargeable air batteries for more sustainable energy storage solutions.

5. What are some applications of air batteries?

Air batteries can be used in various applications, including portable electronic devices, electric vehicles, and even in large-scale energy storage systems for renewable energy sources. They are also being explored for use in implantable medical devices due to their non-toxic nature.