PreExam Problems: Understanding Series Nature & Convergence Radius

• Thread starter csi86
  • Start date
In summary: dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^nx^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} \frac{1}{1-x} = \int \frac{1}{1-x} dx = \int \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n dx = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^{n+1} e^{2x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(2x)^n}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2^nx^n}{n
csi86
There are some problems my lecturer gave me which I can't solve ,or I am very unsure about my approach :

1. Study the nature of this series : [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{a^{n}}{n^{2}} [/tex]

2. Expand as a series of powers of x the function [tex] f(x)= ln{(1+x)} + \frac {1}{1-x} + e^{2x} [/tex] and determine the convergence radius of the resulting one.I know that the last one is done using the Taylor but I ain't sure about my approach, some hints pls.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, do the terms get larger or smaller as n increases?

For the second one, what is your approach that you're not sure about?

Sorry I have an error in the latex code on the first one.

@Office_Shredder : Depends on the value of a :
if it is in (-1,1) then the terms become smaller,
if if is in {-1,1} then they also become smaller,
else they become larger, as n increases.On the secound one, I know some Taylor expansions as I searched for them on wikipedia, and I know the [tex] e^{x} [/tex] expansion, as I have to get e^2x I think I will multiply that expansion by itself...

Sorry about my Latex problems... I have now finally fixed them. :D

1. [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{a^{n}}{n^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{a^{n}}{n^{2}}\times n = \frac{a^{n}}{n} = \infty [/tex] (assuming a > 1) So it converges at 1 and diverges for all other x.
2. [tex] f(x)= \ln{(1+x)} + \frac {1}{1-x} + e^{2x} [/tex]

[tex] \ln{(1+x)} = \int \frac{1}{1+x} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are "PreExam Problems" in relation to series nature and convergence radius?

"PreExam Problems" refer to a set of mathematical problems that are commonly encountered before taking an exam on series nature and convergence radius. These problems are designed to test a student's understanding of the key concepts and techniques in this subject.

2. How can one determine the nature of a series?

The nature of a series can be determined by examining its convergence or divergence. A series is said to be convergent if the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit. On the other hand, a series is divergent if the sequence of partial sums does not have a finite limit.

3. What is the significance of convergence radius in series?

The convergence radius of a series is a measure of how quickly the series converges. It tells us the maximum distance from the center of the series at which the series will still converge. This is important because it allows us to determine the range of values for which the series is valid.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the convergence radius of a series?

Some common techniques for finding the convergence radius of a series include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series with a known convergence radius.

5. How can one improve their understanding of series nature and convergence radius?

To improve understanding of series nature and convergence radius, one can practice solving a variety of preexam problems and familiarize themselves with the different techniques for determining the convergence of a series. It is also helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if there are any concepts that are unclear.