Some questions about action potentials

• Medical
  • Thread starter CausativeAgent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, the conversation is about the movement of ions in and out of cells during repolarization and hyperpolarization, and the factors involved in determining this movement. The Nernst equation is mentioned as a way to calculate the voltage across the membrane for a given concentration gradient. It is also noted that the properties of different ion channels play a role in shaping the action potential. The importance of understanding these factors is acknowledged, even if the details may be complex.
CausativeAgent
My question arises from study during my Human A+P class, but it goes beyond what I'd be expected to know for the class so I decided to post it here.

When potassium exits the cell body during repolarization, is this due to its concentration gradient? If so, why does the chemical gradient get "preference" in deciding the direction of K+ movement, as opposed to the electrical gradient, which I would think would favor depolorization, ie. moving the absolute value of the charge closer to zero. I have a similar confusion about the movement of chloride ions into the cell during hyperpolarization.

Thanks for reading.

Biology news on Phys.org
For these kinds of questions, you typically talk about a combined "electrochemical gradient" rather than thinking about the concentration and voltage gradients separately. The Nernst equation (or similar results) can be used to calculate the corresponding voltage across the membrane for a given concentration gradient.

Ions enter and leave the cell as their driving forces with respect to this electrochemical gradient dictate. The particular shape of the action potential is due to the properties of the different ion channels involved...

just to add to Cincinnatus response, you can look at the instantaneous driving force on any ion as the difference between the Nernst eqn and the transmembrane voltage. But that in itself may not tell you much about current flow of any species.

Its becaause conductances (the reciprocal of resistance)come in two types, there is a passive component which is more or less constant, and as Cinci offered, conductances that vary as both a function of time and voltage thru various voltage gated channels. generally these will account for the shapes of an AP, but which will also certainly change depending on concentration gradients. If you look at the actual number of ions that change sides during an AP it is a relatively small number and unlikely to affect the overall concentrations.

Last edited:
That equation is a bit past my level of comprehension at this point, but it's nice to at least know the factors involved.

CausativeAgent said:
That equation is a bit past my level of comprehension at this point, but it's nice to at least know the factors involved.

Hey you're thinking about it, and the nernst eqn is fairly easy to derive at least for one ion, basically by saying the electrical driving force exactly offsets a concentration gradient at a particular voltage, ie when diffusion/entropy considerations are exactly offset by voltage potential gain moving against that same concentration gradient.

Related to Some questions about action potentials

1. What is an action potential?

An action potential is a brief electrical impulse that travels down the axon of a neuron, allowing for communication between neurons. It is a key process in the functioning of the nervous system.

2. How is an action potential generated?

An action potential is generated through a series of ion movements across the cell membrane of a neuron. This process is called depolarization, where the membrane potential becomes more positive, leading to the opening of voltage-gated ion channels and the influx of sodium ions.

3. What factors affect the speed of action potentials?

The speed of action potentials is affected by several factors, including the myelination of the axon, the diameter of the axon, and the temperature. A myelinated axon with a larger diameter and a warmer temperature will result in faster conduction of action potentials.

4. What happens to an action potential once it reaches the end of an axon?

Once an action potential reaches the end of an axon, it triggers the release of neurotransmitters into the synapse. These neurotransmitters can then bind to receptors on the next neuron, continuing the process of communication between neurons.

5. Can an action potential be inhibited or stopped?

Yes, an action potential can be inhibited or stopped through various mechanisms. For example, the opening of potassium channels can cause repolarization and prevent another action potential from occurring for a brief period. Additionally, certain drugs and diseases can interfere with the process of action potentials.