Solving the Mysteries of Galaxies

• Thread starter demoremda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around questions about galaxies, particularly spiral and elliptical galaxies, and their formations and characteristics. The discussion touches on topics such as the presence of massive black holes at the center of galaxies, the differences between spiral and elliptical galaxies, and the fate of energy that gets sucked into black holes. Some theories and explanations are offered, but there is still much research to be done in this area.
demoremda
[SOLVED] Some questions about galaxys

Hi guys this is my first message

Can we assume that every spiral galaxy has a massive black hole at the center?

And why don't elliptical galaxys evolve like the spirals?

Has anyone wondered were all the energy goes that gets sucked into a black hole?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by demoremda
Hi guys this is my first message ...

Hopefully several other people will reply----several parts of question.

About ellipticals, the last explanation I heard is that ellipticals are formed by the collision and merger of two or more other galaxies (which may e.g. have originally been spirals)
and an elliptical can have more than one massive black hole
in its central region.

It's the more probable.There's a theory that says that all the AGN (Seyfert galaxies, quasars, BL Lac objects,...) are only galaxies where the central black hole is eating big quantities of material, and then shine so brightly because that material is accelerating and
giving radiation
All depends how the cloud that gives rise to the galaxy rotates. If the cloud rotates rapidly, becomes a spiral galaxy, and if rotates slowly, an elliptic galaxy
Has anyone wondered were all the energy goes that gets sucked into a black hole?
I think that remains inside the black hole. Others would say that travels through a wormhole and go out from a white hole, but it's more sci-fi than pure science

Originally posted by meteor
All depends how the cloud that gives rise to the galaxy rotates. If the cloud rotates rapidly, becomes a spiral galaxy, and if rotates slowly, an elliptic galaxy

So your saying its a matter of mass? is it possible elliptic galaxys don't have massive black holes in the middle and if so why don't they form, the density seems about equal altough I am no expert

Originally posted by meteor
[
I think that remains inside the black hole. Others would say that travels through a wormhole and go out from a white hole, but it's more sci-fi than pure science [/B]

well for me black holes come pretty close to sci-fi and i know everything we don't understand is scifi or not possible, maybe an idea is that this is the krib of a new universe, it s a lot of energy that's been sucked in

im not educated on a high lvl in this but i like to think about it, thanks for the replies:smile:

So your saying its a matter of mass? is it possible elliptic galaxys don't have massive black holes in the middle and if so why don't they form, the density seems about equal altough I am no expert
No, not mass,I'm speaking about velocity of rotation. All the non-compact bodies that spin tend to have a flatlike form (for example, the sun that spin over itself, has more diameter in the equator than from pole to pole)Greater the velocity of spin, greater the flatlike form
Black Holes exists in the middle of elliptic galaxies too.The famous galaxy M87, that lies inside the Virgo Cluster, is elliptic, and has a BH of 3.000.000.000 Solar masses. It's the more massive black hole known.In comparation, Sagittarius A, the Black Hole of the center of the Milky Way, has a mass of only 3 million solar masses
well for me black holes come pretty close to sci-fi and i know everything we don't understand is scifi or not possible, maybe an idea is that this is the krib of a new universe, it s a lot of energy that's been sucked in
Interesting idea! Lee Smolin, in his book The life of the Cosmos has proposed the idea of the evolutionary universe. He says that every time that a black hole is created, gives rise to a new Universe. Then if you fall inside that black hole, you will go to that universe, that can has black holes that if collapses creates another universe..., and so on.

Last edited:
Energy is mass. There's no real difference between them, so there's no problem as regards energy and black holes.

I am sure i watched a programme on BBC a couple of years back that said that they think that most Galaxies do have a Black hole at the centre and that includes are own galaxy, not 100% sure about this though, certainly aint no expert.

Yeah, that's right (to my knowledge). Many galaxies, including our own, have a massive black hole at the centre (and possibly smaller black holes, too).

Originally posted by demoremda
Hi guys this is my first message

WELCOME!

That seems to the be the trend in the new data. It's still a relatively new discovery though so there is still a lot more research to be done.

Galaxy formation is also an area of much research.
I've only skimmed the intro, but this seems to be an interesting scientific (very technical) paper on the subject...
http://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Franx/Franx_contents.html

Yep, many people have. :wink: My hunch is that it stays there.

1. What is a galaxy?

A galaxy is a large collection of stars, gas, and dust held together by gravity. It also contains dark matter, which makes up the majority of its mass.

2. How many galaxies are there in the universe?

It is estimated that there are around 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe. However, this number is constantly changing as new galaxies are discovered.

3. What is the biggest galaxy?

The biggest known galaxy is IC 1101, which is located 1.07 billion light years away from Earth. It is estimated to be 4 million light years in diameter.

4. How do galaxies form?

Galaxies form through a process of gravitational attraction and mergers. Smaller galaxies are pulled towards larger ones, eventually merging to form larger galaxies.

5. Can we travel to other galaxies?

At our current level of technology, it is not possible to travel to other galaxies. The vast distances and the limitations of our technology make it impossible. However, it is possible to observe and study other galaxies through telescopes.