Exploring Antenna Interference: A Scientific Inquiry

• Thread starter Tezuka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antennas
In summary, the conversation discusses antenna questions regarding two isotropic radiators on the x-y plane, fed by 100Mhz sources with equal amplitudes and no phase difference. The first question is to find the value of d to minimize interference from a distant radar station at an angle of 60 degrees. The second question is to determine the power levels in the side lobes relative to the primary lobes. The third question is if replacing the radiators with half-dipoles would require recomputing the previous results. The conversation also mentions the need for drawing a picture and understanding the geometrical relationships between the antennas and the station. It is suggested to pick a specific value for D to cancel the antenna phases towards the radar station
Tezuka
hi,

need some help answering some antenna questions...

2 isotropic radiators at x = -d and x = +d on the horizontal x-y plane. for primary radiation lobes to be in +/- y directions, the radiators are fed by 100Mhz sources having equal amplitudes with no phase difference.

1) a strong signal is arriving from distant radar station at φ = 60 deg.( φ is angle with x-axis). find value of d for minimize interference posed by distant radar station.

2)determine the power levels in the side lobes(if any) relative to the power in each primary lobe.

3)the 2 isotropic radiators are replace with 2 half-dipoles(with their axes vertical to x-y plane) does the result of part 1 & @ need to be re-computed?

i have no idea where to start..

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relative phase between the two antennas so that the signal from the distant radar station is minimized?

In other words, how much farther does the signal have to travel to the farther antenna for the sum of the the signals from both antennas to be at minimum?

how do i find the distance between the two elements? some function of wavelength?

You absolutely have to draw a picture of everthing. There's no point trying to solve this problem unless you work out the precise geometrical relationships between the antennas and the station.

Once you make a picture, pick D so the antenna phases cancel toward the radar.

i m quite new to this,
i' ve drawn the picture, but wads the relationship between phases, D, wavelength?
is there some link where i can find out more?

thks

1. What is an antenna and how does it work?

An antenna is a device that is used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. It works by converting electrical energy into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. This process involves the use of conductors and a changing electric current.

2. What are the different types of antennas?

There are several types of antennas, including dipole antennas, loop antennas, patch antennas, and Yagi antennas, to name a few. Each type has its own unique design and characteristics that make it suitable for different applications.

3. How do I choose the right antenna for my application?

When choosing an antenna, you should consider factors such as frequency range, gain, directionality, and size. You should also take into account the specific requirements of your application, such as the distance of transmission, environmental conditions, and power limitations.

4. Can I build my own antenna?

Yes, it is possible to build your own antenna. However, it requires knowledge of antenna design principles and specialized equipment. It is recommended to consult a professional or use pre-made antennas for optimal performance.

5. How do I test the performance of an antenna?

The performance of an antenna can be tested using various methods, including measuring its gain, radiation pattern, and impedance. Specialized equipment such as network analyzers and spectrum analyzers can be used for accurate testing. It is important to follow proper testing procedures and standards for reliable results.